Yeovil Town extended their lead at the top of the National League South to six points with a huge win over fellow play off contenders Bath City.

A single Morgan Williams goal in the second half was all that separated the sides.

First half

The first half began with the hosts in the early ascendancy, Jake Wannell deflected a Joe Greenslade shot wide in just the second minute, but nothing could come of the corner.

The Glovers’ first forray into the Bath City came with a long ball from Duncan Idehen to the returning Alex Fisher, it was a scrappy first ten minutes or so, neither side really able to get their game going.

The hosts were prominent down both flanks, a cross evaded everyone from the right hand side, as the ball broke down, Charlie Cooper stole the ball back before trying to find Fisher wide on the left, his cross just too high for Frank Nouble to bring down.

As the clock ticked past 10 minutes, more danger for the Glovers came from the visitor’s left hand side. Morgan Williams and Idehen teaming up to clear the danger after an error by Wannell.

When in possession, the GLovers were compact and happy to move the ball around, Cooper, Matt Worthington and Alex Fisher all combining well, and it was the Skipper Worthington who forced the visitors’ first corner of the game.

Jordan Young’s delivery was flapped at by stand in Keeper Slav Huk for Bath, but there was no one there to take advantage of the situation.

With 16 minutes gone, Bath had by far their best chance, Dan Hayfield skipped into the box on the left hand side, but his cross couldn’t be met by a team mate, with former Yeovil trialist Scott Wilson flinging himself to get to the ball.

The hosts were dominating possession, Yeovil were looking to release the pressure with longer balls to Fisher and Nouble.

Yeovil were forced into an early change after Alex Whittle went down off camera clutching his right shin, Will Dawes came on as his replacement, like for like into left wing back.

The change nearly caught the Glovers out with a driven free kick from the left hand side needing a couple of attempts to clear.

Jordan Thomas was causing more problems down the Bath City right hand side, twisting and turning before putting a cross in – one that Joe Day could deal with promptly.

His clearance put Michael Smith into a brilliant position, he turned onto his left foot, but his volley was blocked out for a corner.

Young’s delivery only came back to him, the number 11 couldn’t force a delivery after combining with Nouble and Worthington. Young’s slip ended a short stint of pressure for the Glovers.

Bath City’s Thomas was again causing trouble, he forced a corner which was headed towards goal by the home side captain Kieran Parselle. Joe Day was well placed to take the catch with ease, but the signs were clear, Bath are coming for the left hand side of our defence.

Greenslade at left back found Hayfield in acres of space on the edge of the box, his first time effort was sliced wide, but again, far too easy.

Yeovil regained possession through Matt Worthington, he launched the ball in behind the Bath defence for Fisher to chase, he and Michael Smith combined to get a ball into the box, Frank Nouble’s header high and wide.

This move also saw a change of formation, the Glovers switching to a 4-4-2, Idehen at left back with Will Dawes in front of him.

The change in Glovers formation, brought about a change in attack for the hosts, some neat interchange between Thomas and Hayfield saw the latter enter the box, but Nouble was back doing his defensive duties to mop up.

Yeovil were struggling to keep hold of possession, Slav Huk’s skewed clearance, was brought down by Nouble, but again, the game was broken up, this time by a cynical foul.

Charlie Cooper’s set piece couldn’t beat the first man.

The longer balls, particularly from Smith down the Glovers’ right hand side were working, with Nouble and Fisher comfortable with their backs to goal, but when Nouble teamed up with Worthington, the final ball wasn’t there.

Bath quickly broke, three on three, the ball bobbled to Elliot Frear, his shot was smothered by a Joe Day/Morgan Williams combo for a corner.

With time winding down, Yeovil were happy with possession, without being particularly cutting in attack, the game almost sleep walking to half time.

Will Dawes tried to wake it up, his attack down the left side snuffed out, the ball quickly recycled back to the Glovers defence.

Two minutes of added time… it wasn’t a classic 45 minutes of football.

Half time: Bath City 0 Yeovil Town 0

Second half

The Second Half saw no changes from either side, the Glovers in their adjusted 4-4-2 formation from the outset, a series of Goalkeeper to Goalkeeper clearances kicked us off, neither side’s midfielders touching the ball for the first couple of minutes of the second period.

It was no great surprise to see Jordan Thomas in the thick of the first real passage of play of note, he sent Idehen for a hot dog on the right hand side, but his cross was snuffed out.

QUickly down the other end and Will Dawes sent his own defensive counterpart for a refreshment, his cross headed behind.

It was from the resulting corner which saw the Glovers get their first real chance at goal, Morgan Williams rising highest and heading just wide of the right hand post.

This warmed the game up slightly, Thomas was a man on the mission down the Bath right, he slid Scott Wilson behind the defensive line, but the ball was ushered out for a corner. 

Minutes later there was an almighty defensive calamity from the Bath keeper, Will Dawes chased down a lost cause and deflected a Huk clearance into the air, Huk and Dawes fought for the header, the ball just dropping out of range of Alex Fisher with the goal gaping.

Dawes was soon back in the game shortly after, he forced another corner after snapping at the heels of the Bath defender, Huk this time able to fly swat the set piece out. This had been the Glovers best five minutes of the game without question. 

After Joe Day dealt with a horror of a back pass from Morgan WIlliams, he cleared to Will Dawes, who again found space, he bombed down the left, cut inside but his shot was weak on his right (standing) foot.

Now the game was in motion, Bath on the attack down the right, the ball dropping to the full back, his cross-come-shot was easily dealt with.

Scott Wilson was trying to get into the game, he turned Morgan Williams, but the defender was more than capable of getting the distance back and dealing with the danger.

Joe Day dealt with the rest and launched a ball high into the North Somerset night. Slav Huk’s audition for Dancing on Ice nearly offered Frank Nouble a chance at goal, but the Slovakian was able to regain his footing… and control of the ball in time.

Bath were soon in on goal once again and it was that man Thomas causing all the havoc down the right, his cross found his opposite number flying in from the left, but Michael Smith was positioned well on the line – could, maybe should, have been 1-0.

Frustrations were starting to kick in, Jordan Young made his way into the book after a foul and a word, Bath had a wonderful position for a free kick on the left of the Yeovil 18 yard box.

The delivery was met by the home side skipper, Parcelle, but nothing overly dangerous.

Jordan Young was replaced by Sonny Cox soon after, the winger’s frustrating evening coming to an end.

Cox was soon in the thick of it, pulled down by Parcelle after latching onto to a Michael Smith through ball. 

The resulting free kick was nearly forced into the goal at the near post by Alex Fisher, another near miss and another bit of shaky Bath defending.

Matt Worthington was the second Glover into the ref’s note book, something akin to an NFL sideline tackle making absolutely sure Thomas didn’t progress further up the field.

A lengthy stoppage followed, a clash between Joe Raynes and Will Dawes left them both flat out on the ground, Raynes having some fairly heavy strapping wrapped around his hand.

Following the stoppage, the Glovers were out the blocks quicker, Dawes forcing another cross from the left, but the ball trickled into the only space in the 18 yard box not occupied by a body in green.

Mark Cooper rolled his final dice shortly after with Jake ‘don’t call me a Super Sub’ Hyde brought on for Nouble. Alex Fisher set for 90 minutes, despite Cooper saying pre-match he was probably only good for an hour.

All three Glovers changes done, Bath City still with their starting line up.

The match was becoming a 1 v 1 of Dawes v Thomas, the former sprinting down the left but losing the ball, the latter trying to take advantage but went down too easily when trying to claim a free kick on the edge of the Glovers’ penalty area.

Scott Wilson went into the book… as did Jerry Gill… after a free kick was awarded right in front of the home dug out.

The free kick, pin point from Cooper was met by Morgan WILLIAMS, celebrating his new contract with a vital goal! 

After the goal, plenty happened. A couple of Glovers’ idiots threw flares onto the pitch and pretended to cause some trouble, it’s nearly bed time… school in the morning.

Bath City’s Frear was also cautioned in the shenanigans after.

How would Bath respond? Well, by heading down the right hand side through Jordan Thomas. 

The Glovers did what they had been doing best, going through Will Dawes, he was man handled to the ground by the Joe Raynes, who didn’t get a booking for his belly to belly suplex.

The free kick, once again almost inch perfect, Morgan Williams again the intended target, over his head by a matter of inches.

With five minutes of the regular 90 left, Bath forced a free kick of their own down the right hand side, Thomas stood over the ball but his delivery behind everyone.

The Glovers could be forgiven for going into ‘game management’ mode, Bath – and in particular Jordan Thomas – were still causing trouble.

The hosts were always going to force a chance and it did come as the clock hit 90 minutes, Thomas with a drop of the shoulder and a fierce shot that was always rising.

The board goes up with 7 (Seven) minutes added on, both sides still nullifying the others attacks, the offside flag coming to the rescue of Bath as Hyde strayed too far forward.

Thomas again (I’m sick of typing his name) forced a cross into the box, Wilson catching the header on the way down from his jump, not able to control the attempt on goal.

Joe Day’s goal kicks were taking longer and longer, the Glovers defence getting deeper and deeper. 

94 minutes on the clock and Bath were not giving in, a long ball was only half defended by Idehen, but Williams mopped up.

Dawes tried to kick start a counter, but his ball couldn’t find Hyde, a few seconds later, Alex Fisher, who was running like a man who hadn’t played 90 minutes in a LONG time, had the ball in the corner, but the play was brought back for a rogue offside flag.

The clock was ticking, the fingernails were all but gone, Joe Day knew this and collapsed on a claimed cross and took the sting out the final stages.

The 97th minute ticked on by, another long free kick hit the Glovers box, but it was dealt with.

98 minutes. Any time you like, ref… Scott Wilson hooked a ball towards goal, corner kick. Up comes Slav Huk.

But to no avail! 

One goal, three HUGE points. Up the Gloves

Full time: Bath City 0 Yeovil Town 1

Match Details

Venue: Twerton Park
Date: Wednesday 6th December – 19:45
Competition: National League South

Pitch: Cut up but held out
Conditions:  Blummin’ freezing

Attendance: 3639 (1100 Yeovil – minus the idiots that got thrown out)

Scorers: Morgan Williams (0-1)

Bath City:
Wilson, Frear (Gill)
Yeovil Town:
  Young, Worthington


Yeovil Town (5-3-2)


Substitutes: Will Dawes (for Whittle 20), Sonny Cox, Sonny Blu Lo Everton, Jake Hyde, Jordan Maguire-Drew

Bath: Slav Huk, Joe Raynes, Dan Greenslade, Jordan Dyer, Kieran Parselle, Dan Hayfield, Cody Cooke, Elliot Frear, Jordan Thomas, Scott Wilson, Luke Rusee
Subs: Batten, Lines, Clark, Thorn, Smith



Notify of

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
4 months ago

My heart sank when I saw the line-up (as it did on Sunday). The awful wing back formation, which means little in the way of creativity. We’re much better going forward than defending, so why set up with such a defensive line-up? We’re playing into the opposition’s hands.
In trying to see the game out we have absolutely no ability to keep possession.
The only time we look comfortable is when in running the clock down in the the first half (as we did at Chippenham).
We’re full time playing part time, but it doesn’t look like it.
I think we had one shot on target all night (which fortunately went in). We certainly didn’t deserve to win the game.
I’m still not sure about Mark Cooper. It took him ages to adopt the 4-4-2 formation in the first place, 3-5-2 is definitely a retrograde step. Let’s hope that’s the last we see of it this season.
We seem to be dragging ourselves down to the opposition’s level, which is not the way to win this league (based on our past experiences).
The only positive tonight was the final score, but it flattered us.