A brace from Tom Knowles and a late goal from Emmanuel Sonupe ended a run of three defeats for a patched up Yeovil Town against struggling King’s Lynn.

It was a miserable day at Huish Park with the wet weather assisting Knowles with his opening goal after the ball held up on pitch after eight minutes.

But, the midfielder’s second three minutes later owed everything to his amazing ability to connect with a ball as he bent the ball in.

The visitors pulled one back from the spot soon after before a second half which was as dismal as weather.

The only bright spot for the home side came three minutes from time when substitutes Joe Quigley and Sonupe combined for the midfielder to open his account.

Here’s how I saw it…..


If you made it to the live stream in time to watch the highlights of the 2-2 draw between the two sides on the opening day of the season, refer to Gloverscast Rule 1 when watching the handball and offside for King’s Lynn’s first goal. Horrendous, just horrendous.

The team news saw returns to the starting line up for centre-half Luke Wilkinson, making his first appearance since limping off after 26 minutes in the 5-1 defeat at Solihull Moors, and full-back Carl Dickinson who missed the midweek trip to Aldershot Town.

Lawson D’Ath, who appeared as a substitute in midweek, got his first start since the 3-0 win at Weymouth in January, and there were just four substitutes for the Glovers.

A pre-match downpour left the Huish Park pitch sodden and the ball was clearly holding up in some parts, but it was a bright start for Yeovil with Billy Sass-Davies turning an early D’Ath corner over the bar.

The conditions played a part in Yeovil’s opening goal when an underhit back pass to King’s Lynn keeper Theo Richardson held up on the surface, gifting Tom KNOWLES a gilt-edged chance to break through, stepped round the keeper and fired the opener.

Then just three minutes later, a nicely-worked move down the left, found KNOWLES on the edge of the box and he bent a beautiful strike passed the helpless Richardson.

At that point, it looked like a case of how many for the home side, but that seemed to spur King’s Lynn.

They found a way back in to the game on 23 minutes when winger Michael Gyasi was felled inside the box by a clumsy Wilkinson tackle.

The penalty was awarded and experienced striker Simeon JACKSON sent Adam Smith the wrong way from the spot.

Shortly after there was another definite call for the Gloverscast Rule 1 (NB: Don’t complain about National League refs, they’re rubbish, just live with it) when Wilkinson appeared to win the ball with a heavy tackle on Michael Gash.

The defender limped away and unfathomably got a yellow card. Suffice to say, captain Carl Dickinson was less than impressed and, to add injury to insult, Wilkinson was left struggling.

The slippy conditions and a lack of quality in both boxes made for plenty of action, but very little to test either Smith or Richardson.

Dickinson had a long range free-kick held and that was about that for the remainder opening 45 minutes.


Half time: Yeovil Town 2 (Knowles (2) King’s Lynn Town 1(Jackson, pen)


The rain continued to fall during the half-time break making the pitch even heavier and you just knew it was not going to be pretty.

Wilkinson did return for the second half, but it was King’s Lynn who started the half the brighter. On 50 minutes, full-back Tyler Denton whistled a shot just wide from 30 yards with Smith at full stretch.

If you did spend £9.99 to watch the stream, I would try and get a discount for the first 25 minutes of the second half which was one you could easily have made a drink during and not missed anything.

It was not until the 70th minute that King’s Lynn pressure saw midfielder Sonny Carey have an effort cleared off the line by Wilkinson, presumably kicking with the one fit and healthy leg he had left.

Two minutes later, a cross from Josh Neufville seemed to be heading towards Knowles on the back post, dreaming of his hat-trick, the script was written……..but Knowles slipped. Yeah, that kind of game.

It took until the 84th minute to cheer up when Yeovil’s substitutes Joe Quigley, on for Reuben Reid, played a well-weighted ball through to Emmanuel SONUPE who ran through and coolly slotted home his first goal.

That was pleasing for both players.  Quigley again showing that he is more than a targetman and Sonupe,  one of the few bright spots when he came on against Wrexham seven days earlier, getting off the mark with a nice finish.

A minute from the end, a great ball in by Payne and Michael Gash got a header which looped over and (I think) Smith got a touch on it to turn it on to the crossbar.

Three points, three goals and a nice fillip going in to Tuesday night’s home match with Maidenhead United with fans back inside Huish Park for the first time in a long time.

From this exiled Yeovil Town supporter, if you are lucky enough to be there – give the boys a cheer from me!


Full time:  Yeovil Town 3 (Knowles (2), Sonupe) King’s Lynn Town 1 (Jackson, pen).


Yeovil Town: Smith, Kelly, Wilkinson, Sass-Davies, Dickinson (c), Lee, Knowles, D’Ath (D’Ath, 87), Neufville (for Sonupe, 78) , Reid (for Quigley, 70), Dagnall.
Substitues (not used): Evans (GK).
Bookings: Wilkinson,

King’s Lynn: Richardson, Howard, Callan-McFadden, Fleming, Denton, Clunan (c), Gyasi (Babos, 65), Kiwomya (Payne, 65), Carey, Jackson, Gash.
Substitutes (not used):  Bastock.
Bookings: Callan-McFadden, Denton.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments