Venue: Huish Park
Saturday, 7th April, 3pm kick-off

Conditions: Lovely clear day.

Pitch: Looking good.

Attendance: 2,599

Scorers: Tyrone Marsh 11 (0-1), Dennon Lewis 27 (0-2), Jacob Mendy o.g. 59 (1-2), Luke Wilkinson 65 (2-2)


Yeovil: Gorman 36, D’Ath 53
Boreham Wood: 
Raymond 37, Evans 65

Referee: Ryan Atkin


Yeovil Town : (5-3-2)

Grant Smith

Morgan Williams, Mark Little (for Reuben Reid, 83), Luke Wilkinson, Max Hunt (for Ben Barclay, 90), Jack Robinson

Lawson D’Ath, Dale Gorman, Matt Worthington (for Jordan Barnett, 90)

Tom Knowles, Josh Neufville

Substitutes: Ben Barclay, Jordan Barnett, Alex Bradley, Reuben Reid, Adi Yussuf.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Evans, Stephens, Comley, Mendy Mendy, Smith, Mafuta, Raymond, Boden (for Clifton, 82), Marsh, Lewis. Substitutes: Ashby-Hammond, Smith, Joyce, Orsi.

Match Report

A second half free-kick from captain Luke Wilkinson earned Yeovil Town a point in their final National League home match of the season.

Having gone 2-0 down after a powder puff first half performance, Charlie Lee‘s men turned things around with an improved second half appearance.

A long throw from Tom Knowles was flicked in to his own net by Boreham Wood defender Jacob Mendy to pull one back after the hour mark before Wilkinson stepped up to lash home the equaliser five minutes later.

Here’s how it went down at Huish Park……


First half

Caretaker manager Charlie Lee went for a back three of Luke WilkinsonMax Hunt and Mark Little to match up to the opposition who arrived at Huish Park still in with a shout of a play-off place. Morgan Williams and Jack Robinson 

The opening exchanges favored the home side albeit their possession was never turned in to any real threat on the visitors’ goal and after 11 minutes Boreham Wood opened the scoring with their first attack.

Mark Little lost the ball to Jacob Mendy who drilled a ball across the face of goal and visitors’ top scorer Tyrone MARSH was on hand inside the six yard box to open the scoring with his 11th of the season.

Yet another goal conceded far too easily but, on 17 minutes, Yeovil were gifted a golden opportunity to half the deficit. Tom Knowles controlled the ball superbly inside the box and went down under contact from the Boreham Wood defender and, despite the forward getting back on his feet, the referee pointed to the penalty spot.

Dale Gorman. Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

Dale Gorman stepped up and his effort was saved by Nathan Ashmore. Put that down as ‘good height for the goalkeeper’ and from the follow-up the ball was put back in to the box by Knowles and Morgan Williams headed wide.

On 24 minutes, Wood had a penalty shout when Kane Smith’s shot was blocked by Wilkinson, the visitors were convinced it was handball, the referee was not. But three minutes later they doubled their advantage.

Dennon LEWIS won the ball 40 yards from goal and found himself one-on-one with Wilkinson and made no mistake with a composed finish.

A golden opportunity to level the scoreline spurned followed by another gift of a goal. Sigh. It just sums us up this season, doesn’t it?

It took until moments after the board went up to confirm the amount of added time before half-time for Yeovil to fashion a meaningful chain and no surprise it was Knowles whose shot was smartly stopped by Ashmore.

Play almost immediately swung to the other half as goal-scorer Lewis hassled Jack Robinson in to a mistake, burst forward but his shot was stopped by Grant Smith.

If this change of formation was an experiment by Charlie Lee, it failed.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Boreham Wood 2


Second Half

If you were out late from the bar (is that a thing at Huish Park at half-time?) and did not arrive until around the hour mark, you’d not miss anything. Not a thing. But on 59 minutes, Yeovil got a goal back.
A long throw by Knowles landed on the head of Mendy who was challenging with Morgan Williams and looped in to the net. Williams grabbed the ball as if it was him, but that was an OWN GOAL from Mendy – albeit one from a long throw.
A bit of a spark? Josh Neufville wriggled away as far as the edge of the box and found himself crowded out by the Boreham Wood defence, passed to Knowles but his effort was easily stopped by Ashmore.
On 65 minutes, Knowles was causing problems again and fouled just outside the box by Will Evans, who was shown a yellow card for his ‘professional’ foul.
Luke Wilkinson celebrates his equaliser. Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

From the resulting free-kick, Gorman and Wilkinson were over the ball. Not excited, right? Obviously Nathan Ashmore in the Boreham Wood goal had been listening to the podcast and underestimated WILKINSON whose effort sent the keeper the wrong way to net the equaliser.

You’re not reading this wrong, folks. That is a goal from a long throw and one from a free-kick – where’s that been all season?
Wherever it had been, it was enough to earn a point in this last action of the season at Huish Park – with the exception of next weekend’s Legends’ game, of course.

Full time: Yeovil Town 2 Boreham Wood 2

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments