Venue: Huish Park
Saturday September 4 2021, 5.30pm kick-off.

Conditions: Dry and bright
Ground: Perfect

Scorers: Quigley pen 14 (1-0)

Attendance: 1,899 (54 away)

Referee: Thomas Parsons

Yeovil: Gorman 52, Staunton 52
Boreham Wood: Slew 70, Warburton 84

Yeovil Town : (4-4-1-1)
Grant Smith
Dan Moss, Max Hunt, Luke Wilkinson, Jordan Barnett
Charlie Wakefield, Dale Gorman, Josh Staunton, Tom Knowles
Sonny Blu Lo-Everton
Joe Quigley

Subs: Adi Yussuf (for Lo-Everton, 84), Alex Bradley (for Knowles, 90), Max Evans (not used), Morgan Williams (not used), Toby Stephens (not used).

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Debrah, Bradbury, Maher, Benn, Warren (for Gilmour, 67), Woods, Summerfield  (for Green, 64), Warburton, Waters (for Allen, 83), Slew.
Substitutes: Spence, Swaby-Neavin.


We broke the hoodoo, we got the monkey off our back, put it however you like but for the first time since Wembley 2013, Yeovil Town won a match on the telly.

The BT Sport cameras have not been kind to the Glovers since our return to non-League and it took a penalty smashed down the middle from Joe Quigley (who else?) to earn three points under the spotlight.

It came after 14 minutes when Tom Knowles was caught with a high kick from Halifax captain Niall Maher and referee Thomas Parsons had no hesitation but to point to the spot.

Here’s how David Coates saw it watching on the telly…..


On the day when breaking hoodoos was the order of the day, Yeovil Town boss Darren Sarll will have been pleased to name an unchanged starting XI to the one which had won at Aldershot Town on Bank Holiday Monday.

The boss’ only change was a fifth substitute on the bench in the form of Alex Bradley who returned after illness.

The game started with the move which led to the home side taking the lead. Sonny Blu Lo-Everton‘s ball in from the left could not find Quigley and rebounded as far as Tom Knowles who was caught by visiting captain Niall Maher.

Tom Knowles is caught by FC Halifax Town captain Niall Maher inside the box.
Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.
Referee Thomas Parsons had no hesitation in pointing to the spot and Quigley stepped up to put it down the middle.
Knowles had a claim for a second spot kick five minutes later after a coming together with Maher but (again) he referee got it right and waved away any appeals.
That led to the game slowing down as Yeovil frustrated the visitors who were second best in the tactical battle, and it was not until the closing stages of the half that either side carved out any opportunities.
In the 45th minute, Charlie Wakefield‘s ball in from the right was heading towards Quigley at the back post, but was well defended by Tyrrell Warren, and a minute later a free kick from Dale Gorman was headed over by Luke Wilkinson, who was flagged offside. The television replay, however, suggested otherwise.
The lead was nothing less than Yeovil deserved having looked comfortable against a Halifax side who had picked up wins in their previous two matches.
Half time: Yeovil Town 1 (Quigley, pen) FC Halifax Town 0


With Halifax boss Pete Wild hopping around on the touchline for much of the first half (more on that later), the expectation was that the visitors would come out with a spring in their step or a flea in their ear after the interval.
If they did it was not immediately obvious Yeovil again starting the brighter with Gorman’s lofted ball in to the box finding Quigley, who could only manage a tame header.
The Shaymen did start to find their way back in to it and had their best chance of the game on 54 minutes when a free-kick from Matt Warburton, who probably the visitors’ only real attacking threat in the first half, was pushed away by Grant Smith.
His clearance only went as far as striker Jordan Slew whose shot from the far post rattled off the post and away.
From there the game started to get stretched with neither side able to find any fluidity. Wilkinson had a shot deflected over and Slew fired a ball in to the box which flashed past his strike partner Billy Waters, who had scored three in his first three matches for the visitors but was anonymous throughout.
It was not until the closing stages that either side managed to create a real opportunity. With  two minutes to go substitute Jamie Allen got away down the right and it was only thanks to an excellent interception from Max Hunt inside the area that he did not get his shot away.
Striker Adi Yussuf fires a shot in on goal.

Then, in the second minute of injury time, Glovers’ substitute Adi Yussuf broke away and rather than squaring the ball to either Quigley or Alex Bradley to his left, he tried to take on the shot which he put over.

That was too much for Wild who finally combusted and it did not take a lip reader to work out what he said to the officials to earn himself a red card. Ironically, in the build up to the game, Wild had spoken about how he expected Yeovil to bully his side and said he would be advising his players to keep cool heads.

His judgement presumably impaired by the loss of his temper, he later told the BT Sport cameras his side had “dominated the second half from start to finish.” If you say so, Pete.

Full time: Yeovil Town 1 (Quigley, pen) FC Halifax Town 0


Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments