Venue: Huish Park
Monday, 2nd April, 3pm kick-off

Conditions: Overcast 

Pitch: Held up nicely

Attendance: 2210 (153 away)

Scorers: None


Yeovil: D’Ath 27, Worthington 45,
Cooper 78,

Sending Off:
Wealdstone: Dyer 37.

Referee: Savvas Yianni


Yeovil Town : (4-4-2)

Grant Smith

Jack Robinson, Luke Wilkinson, Ben Barclay, Morgan Williams

Tom Knowles, Matt Worthington (Gorman 65), Lawson D’Ath, Sonny Blu-Lo Everton (Bradley 79)

Reuben Reid (Yussuf 55), Josh Neufville

Substitutes:  Alex Bradley, Jack Robinson, Dale Gorman, Reuben Reid, Max Hunt

Wealdstone: Howes, Cook, Okimo, Umerah (Charles 63), Sesay, Tavares, Dyer, Clayden (Browne 70), Henry, Mundle-Smith, Cooper

Substitutes: Charles, Browne, Hearin, Mascoll, Shrowder

Match Report

Grant Smith. Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

Yeovil Town played out a 0-0 draw with Wealdstone in the penultimate home game of the 2021/22 season, despite plenty of attacking intent against a Stones’ side who played nearly an hour with ten men, the Glovers could’t get through a staunch back line. Here’s how it went at Huish Park.

First half

In a half lacking goals, there wasn’t much lacking in terms of talking points.

The drama kicked off early with a concerning injury to Wealdstone’s Charlie Cooper, he looked to take a nasty bump and concern was high, but after a number of minutes of treatment, he returned with tissue stuffed up his nose and a new bloodless shirt.

He would actually be one of the livelier players for the visitors with a couple of early pot shots, but he was a key player in the Stones’ best chances when the clock hit 30 minutes.

However, the Glovers did have the ball in the back of the net shortly before, Adi Yussuf and Lawson D’ath combined to cause chaos in the Wealdstone’s defence, the ball hit the net, the music started blaring but there was a foul given on the travelling goalkeeper.

Back to that big chance, on 29 minutes a flurry of near misses, half chances and shots on goal resulted in not one, not two but three goal line clearances. Luke WIlkinson and Morgan Williams both throwing their body on the line in the name of a clean sheet.

The game would take on two more defining moments, Jack Cook hit the crossbar from a header, before Alex Dyer, the Monserrat midfielder was shown a straight red for a challenge on the Glovers’ Sonny Blu Lo Everton.

This changed the Glovers’ intensity; Lo-Everton drove forward for force shots in on goal, whilst the full backs began to venture forward more often.

Ben Barclay, who was returning to the starting line up, had a half chance from a Tom Knowles throw in, but despite six additional minutes being added on, the half-time whistle came in time for the visitors.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Wealdstone 0

Second Half

The second half began with plenty of attacking intent from the Glovers, but the number of clear cut chances didn’t match the amount of possession.
Charlie Lee made his first change with Reuben Reid replacing Adi Yussuf, with an desire to bring more control to the front line, but it was the visitors who actually went close shortly before the hour, David Sesay giving Grant Smith a chance to earn his corn.
Lawson D’Ath and Tom Knowles saw shots cleared, parried or sail high into the stand behind the goal as the hosts continue to huff and puff.
Dale Gorman was brought on to replace the booked Matty Worthington, and the Northern Irishman was straight into the action but his free kick was well saved.
The next chance to break the deadlock fell the way of Middlesbrough loanee Jack Robinson; with the ball pinging about in the box, the stand-in right back saw his shot squirm just wide.
The stats were all in favour of the Glovers, with plenty of shots flying in, Josh Neufville continued his exciting form with an effort which was blocked. Shots became corners, but rarely became clear chances.
Sam Howes in the visitor’s goal continued to keep the Glovers out, as the game became a glorified attack vs defence session.
As with all matches like this, there was always going to be an inevitable chance for the ten-man visitors and it came from Cooper, who had an eventful game with the injury and booking, he forced Smith in the Yeovil goal into a fantastic save with less than ten minutes on the clock.
With the clock winding down, Yeovil found frustration kicking in but there was still more opportunities coming the way of the home side.
Josh Neufville had a penalty shout turned down, Gorman saw another effort fly wide as the clock ticked beyond the 90 minute mark, Reid couldn’t convert late on either as the game ended up finishing a disappointing stale mate for the Glovers

Full time: Yeovil Town 0 Wealdstone 0

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments