Venue: Huish Park
Tuesday, October 5 2021, 7.45pm kick-off.

Conditions: Cold…..very cold.
Ground: Slick. Held up well despite the rain.

Scorers: None – to put it mildly!

Attendance: 2,031

Referee: Adrian Quelch

Yeovil: Staunton 24, Knowles 37
Maidenhead United: Mingi 28, 71, Massey 45, Kelly 81

Sendings off:
Yeovil Town: 
Maidenhead United: Mingi (second bookable offence), 71

Yeovil Town : (4-4-2)
Grant Smith
Dan Moss, Max Hunt, Josh Staunton, Jack Robinson
Charlie Wakefield, Dale Gorman, Mitch Rose, Tom Knowles
Joe Quigley, Ben Seymour

Subs:  Sonny Blu Lo-Everton (for Seymour, 69),  Jordan Barnett (for Tom Knowles, 80), Alex Bradley (for Moss, 90), Max Evans (not used), Matt Worthington (not used).

Maidenhead United: Lovett, Massey, Wells, Parry, Clerima, Minigi, Ferdinand, Upward, Barratt (for Kelly, 69), Smith (for Beckwith,88), Blissett (for Acquah, 79). Subs: Adams (not used), Asonganyi (not used).


Yeovil Town were held to a dull and disappointing 0-0 draw by Maidenhead United at Huish Park this evening. A game of low quality with a lack of clear cut opportunities made for minimal entertainment in the cold for the 2031 spectators who fancied a Tuesday out.

Darren Sarll changed up his side for the clash with out of form Maidenhead United, who were without a win in six games going into the match. Loanees Jack Robinson and Ben Seymour came in for their full debuts alongside controversial new signing Mitchell Rose. The reception for Rose was considerably muted during the pre match team announcement. Jordan Barnett was sacrificed at left back for Robinson despite his decent start for the Glovers. Seymour came in for the suspended Adi Yussuf and Rose replaced Matty Worthington the central midfield to partner Dale Gorman.

Joe Quigley battles for the ball.
Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

A cautious opening five minutes saw both sides trying to gain a hold of possession with neither in the ascendancy. Ben Seymour forced Maidenhead’s keeper Rhys Lovett to deal with a fizzed left footed cross that was searching out top scorer Joe Quigley.

George Wells had the audacity to attempt lobbing Grant Smith after his clearance found the Maidenhead full back. His effort was speculative at best with Smith in a decent position and the execution poor.

Kane Ferdinand gave the Glovers defence a minor scare a few minutes later when he found himself with acres in the middle of the eighteen yard box. His weak headed effort was over the bar and he as adjudged to be in an offside position.

Tom Knowles had a shout for a ‘seen ’em given’ penalty in the 21st minute. A cross from the left hand side was sent in towards the penalty area and the winger hit the deck under a challenge from Wells but the referee wasn’t inclined to award anything.

Moments later there was a heart in mouth moment for Josh Staunton as he brought down Maidenhead’s centre forward Nathan Blissett on the edge of the penalty box, earning himself a fourth yellow card of the season. The referee, Adrian Quelch, deemed the challenge took place outside the box so awarded a freekick inches outside the box. Maidenhead attempted to work a fancy opening and Charlee Adams effort was laughably average.

Knowles gave Maidenhead a scare shortly after, cutting inside from the right a firing a rasping left footed effort into the side netting from outside the box.

Knowles was victim of a pretty reckless tackle just before the half hour mark. Jay Mingi, on loan from Portsmouth, went in forcefully on Knowles prompting calls for a red card from the supporters at Huish Park. Quelch gave Mingi a yellow but it probably fell into the ‘seen ’em given’ category.

Mitchell Rose in action for Yeovil Town.
Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

Quigley came close to grabbing the first goal of the game in the 34th minute after a cross from the left wing by Mitch Rose. The strikers diving header flew wide of the post but certainly warmed the vocal chords on this chilly evening.

Blissett hit the side netting himself shortly after. Dale Gorman headed the ball over the backline towards Smith who decided not to come and claim the ball allowing Blissett a decent effort at goal. Any striker worth his salt would have forced a save but on this occasion he put wide.

Quigley had another header flash wide after Gorman’s delivery in the 44th and the first effort on target came moments after through Ben Seymour. The loanee from Exeter’s low strike was saved comfortably by Lovett.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Maidenhead United 0

A tepid opening to the second half saw neither side show much impetus from the break.

Lovett was forced into a goal-denying save just before the hour mark after his own defender flicked a Gorman freekick goalwards. Corner chaos ensued after but Maidenhead weathered the minor storm.

Some neat interplay on the edge of the Maidenhead box gave Quigley an opportunity to shoot but his effort dribbled into the palms of Lovett.

In attempt to bring some life to the attacking end of the pitch Sarll, Sarll made the first change of the game in the 68th minute. Sonny Blu-Lo Everton for Ben Seymour, slotted into the central attacking midfielder position behind Quigley.

Maidenhead found themselves down to ten men with 20 minutes left on the clock when Mingi was given a second yellow card.

Attacking vs defence ensued with the 11 players in green and white looking to force an opening, although Maidenhead weren’t dominated and employed a degree of time-wasting the opportunity allowed.

Charlie Wakefield in action for Yeovil Town.
Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

A promising run from Charlie Wakefield, where he coasted past three men before releasing Knowles on the right of the penalty area. Knowles first touch was lacking and he couldn’t get a credible effort on goal.

Knowles was replaced by Jordan Barnett shortly after with Wakefield moving to the right and the recent signing slotting in higher up the pitch than we’ve seen him so far in left midfield.

With four minutes added on, the late addition of Alex Bradley for Dan Moss made little difference in the attacking end as Yeovil struggled to break down the resilient Magpies, who even caused problems despite the man disadvantage.

Josh Staunton, skipper on the night, was awarded man of the match by the match sponsors which was a telling statement about the performance of the Glovers.

There were boos on the full-time whistle with some fans less than happy with their evening out.

Full time: Yeovil Town 0 Maidenhead United 0


Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments