Yeovil Town played out a goalless draw with the National League’s in-form team Hampton and Richmond at Huish Park this afternoon.

The Glovers had their chances in the first half, but an even second half was well contested with Hampton showing exactly why they’re in the position they are. Yeovil remain 7 points clear at the top.

Here’s how Ian saw it from Huish Park..

First half

There were two changes for in the starting line up for Yeovil, with Jay Foulston immediately coming in at left back in place of Will Dawes and Frank Nouble replacing Sonny Cox.

Former Glover Jake Gray had a the first of the chances at Huish Park in the 5th minute. Space opened up nicely for Gray on the edge the Yeovil box and he drew a strong low save from Joe Day.

Minutes later, Rhys Murphy had a great chance to open the scoring. The poacher was in a familiar position inside the box and as he swivelled and fired a low shot at goal, Adam Desbois got down smartly to keep it out with a great save.

Rhys Murphy.
Picture courtesy of Gary Brown.

After those two chances, the game entered a cagey phase, with Yeovil struggling to break the lines of Hampton and the visitors having some bright moments around Yeovil’s box.

Yeovil dominated the possession, albeit with no real threat. Jay Foulston and Michael Smith were starting to find space in wide areas, and it was Foulston who nearly put it on a plate for Murphy. Hampton cleared for a corner and Charlie Cooper very nearly put said corner straight in!

As dominant as Yeovil were with the ball, Hampton did find pockets of space as they beat the Yeovil press as Gray got himself into good crossing positions.

Most bits of good play from the Beavers came from Gray, and his left-footed shot in the 34th minute trickled just wide of Day’s right hand post.

Frank Nouble.
Picture courtesy of Gary Brown.

A minute later, Frank Nouble should have put Yeovil ahead. A ball through in the inside left channel found its way to Nouble and the striker opened up his body to bend it into the far corner but put it wide of Desbois’ post.

Such was the spirit of the game, there was no stoppage time at the end of the first half and both sides seemed fairly content to go in at 0-0.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Hampton & Richmond 0


Second half

Like with the first half, Joe Day was the first of the keeper called into action, saving a fiercely struck left-footer from Ruaridh Donaldson.

Neither side were able to break the other down, and on the 62nd minute both side made changes. Alex Fisher came on for Rhys Murphy and Mason Bloomfield joined Ben Seymour up front for Hampton and Richmond.


Alex Fisher slides in.
Picture courtesy of Gary Brown.

Fisher very nearly made his mark moments later. Matt Worthington, who was playing with a lot of freedom, curled a teasing ball across the six yard box with the outside of his boot and Fisher couldn’t have got closer to getting a toe on the ball.

Yeovil had another opportunity in the 72nd minute with Worthington latching on to a Nouble flick on. It was an awkward height for Yeovil’s skipper, who couldn’t get his shot on target as he was closed down by Desbois.

Bloomfield’s physicality was causing problems for Yeovil and Day had to be alert in the 77th minute to parrying a powerful shot out for a corner. Bloomfield was on the end of a cross moments later but couldn’t direct a header towards goal.

Seymour and Donaldson combined nicely as the clock ticked over 80 minutes, and Day was called into action making another good save from Donaldson.

Yeovil were crying out for a bit of pace, and Will Dawes replaced Frank Nouble in the 88th minute to provide that pace, although with not a lot of time to do much…

Full time: Yeovil Town 0 Hampton & Richmond 0

Match Details

Venue: Huish Park
Date: Saturday 16th December – 3pm kick-off

Competition: National League South

Pitch: Looking the part, but cutting up a bit
Conditions:  Mild and dry

Attendance: 3388 (86 away)

Scorers: None

Yeovil Town:
Charlie Cooper 49, Alex Fisher, 74, Jordan Young, 90
Hampton & Richmond: Ben Seymour, 71

Referee: Isaac Searle

Yeovil Town (4-3-3)

Substitutes: Will Dawes (for Frank Nouble, 88) , Alex Fisher (for Rhys Murphy, 62), Jordan Maguire-Drew (not used), Josh Owers (not used), Duncan Idehen (not used).

Hampton & Richmond: Adam Desbois, Jordan Thomas, Ruaridh Donaldson, Luis Ferandez, Rob Hall (Mason Bloomfield, 62), Ben Seymour, Jake Gray, Sam Deadfield, George Hunt (for Shane Dunne, 86), Sam Dreyer, Dan Wishart. Substitutes (not used): Isaac Pitblado, Dom Revan, Joshua Anifowose.

Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Gareth Williams
7 months ago

What was obvious throughout the game was the space between the holding 2 in midfield and the front 2 . With a goalkeeper , back four and 2 holding , you have 7 defending , and just 4 attacking , as there was nothing going forward from central midfield . Perhaps we need to go back to those players who were part of the unbeaten run

7 months ago

Could not agree more. Charlie Cooper would sit in the back 4 when Smith went up the wing, leaving us short in midfield. Cooper passes back more than forwards and doesn’t have the agility to turn with the ball at speed to start an attack. He’s also constantly telling his teammates what to do, resulting in a stand up argument with Wannell early in the game.

Phil A
7 months ago

Credit to Hampton – they had a plan and stuck to it. For us, it felt a bit square pegs/round holes in midfield. Not often was it a balanced and sadly that three in central midfield is not a great combo. Worthy wasn’t as effective on the left as when he’s played in the middle. It also felt a bit slow moving through the midfield at times, until one of the FBs made a run. Dawes introduction was about 20mins too late.

Goal Lover
7 months ago

Yep overall, a bit of a flat performance from Yeovil, but there’s been enough negativity around Huish Park in recent years. See the positive… why does the name “Charlie Cooper” keep cropping up in a negative way? He made a positive goal contribution v Bath I think!!