Venue: Huish Park
Tuesday 25th October, 7:45pm kick-off

Conditions: Cool, clear night
Pitch: Looking good

Attendance: 2396 (219 away)

Scorers: Phillips (0-1 ’85), Willard (0-2 ’90+)


Yeovil Town: Reckord ’75, Dawes ‘ 79, Johnson ’89
Aldershot Town: Harfield ’79, Davies ’90

Referee: James Durkin


Yeovil Town : (4-3-3…maybe)

Grant Smith

   Owen Bevan – Josh Staunton – Ben Richards-Everton – Jamie Reckord

Callum Rowe (Will Dawes ’66) – Matt Worthington – Sam Perry

Ollie Hulbert – Alex Fisher(Gime Toure ’60) – Ewan Clark (Chiori Johnson ’73)

Substitutes (not used): Max Hunt, Malachi Linton


Match Report

Yeovil Town dropped into the National League relegation zone following a 2-0 home defeat to fellow strugglers Aldershot Town, in a game where the Glovers passed 430 minutes without scoring a goal, two late goals from the visitors confined the green and whites to a second consecutive 2-0 defeat.

Ian Perkins was there, here’s how he saw it.

First half

With changes across the team, including a debut for Ewan Clarke, the Glovers lined up in a 4-3-3 – praise the Lord.

The opening ten was pretty cagey, with both sides exchanging spells of possession with no chances at goal.

In the 13th minute Grant Smith was called into action, diving to his left to put Tommy Willard’s goal-bound effort wide for a corner.

The Glovers had a half chance moments later with Clarke meeting Jamie Reckord’s deep looping cross with a tame header towards goal.

As the lone striker, Alex Fisher was doing a lot of running and in the 22nd minute he glanced a header wide of the post after a good cross from Reckord on the left.

Some neat play moment later opened some spaces for efforts that were closed down but it fell to Clarke who’s left footed effort was easy for Taylor Ashby-Hammond.

Former W*ymouth man Tyler Cordner’s eyes lit up as he galloped forward and with space to line up a strike he smashed the ball wide of Smith’s goal.

As half time approached discontent grew amongst supporters with boos for misplaced crosses and even when the players had audacity to retain possession – odd.

Aldershot’s movement was causing Chris Hargreaves’ side a few issues as they adjusted to the new shape, but a fairly dull affair saw the scores level at the break.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Aldershot 0

Second half

The first effort of the second half fell to Aldershot, as Amaluzor had his left footed shot deflected wide for a corner.

Attacking the Thatchers, which seemed to have gained a few idiots from the surrounding villages, Alex Fisher dragged an effort wide shortly after.

Aldershot had their best chance of the game in the 58th minute. After a mix up in defence, Frank Vincent snuck in to strike at goal but his shot went wide.

Chris Hargreaves changes personnel Midway through the half, replacing Fisher and Rowe with Gime Toure and Will Dawes.

Shortly after the former Stratford man’s arrival, a defensive clearance rebounded horribly off of Amaluzor just over the bar as Smith scrambled back towards goal.

Buoyed by his effort in the first half, Cordner had another go in the 70th minute that flew just wide of Smith’s left hand post.

Toure mazed his way through the box and went down appealing for a penalty, although the referee saw no contact and waved the appeals away.

Aldershot opened the scoring five minutes from time with Giles PHILLIPS heading home a corner. 0-1.

The Glovers couldn’t lift themselves after conceding and Tommy WILLARD piled on the misery in stoppage time. 0-2.

Chants of “We Want Hargreaves out” and “f*ck off back to BT” and boos at full time really piled the pressure on Chris Hargreaves as the GloverS fell into the bottom four.

Full time: Yeovil Town 0 Aldershot 2


At the full time whistle, there were some ugly scenes as the Glovers fans made their voices heard.

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments