For a short while, Yeovil Town were top of the National League South table, but, results elsewhere means the Glovers finish Saturday in second after a 2-1 away win against Hampton & Richmond… it was not without incident.

Jake Hyde saw red (two yellows) and Matt Worthington joined him late on after handling on the line. as the away side finished with nine men, but still picked up the three points.

David Coates was there here are his thoughts… 

First half

From the off it was clear Jordan Stevens was going to be an outlet down the right side and it was the ex-Barrow man who tested the Hampton keeper Adam Desbois after three minutes.

At the other end, Mason Bloomfield headed a free-kick wide, but neither side particularly carved out a notable effort.

On 15 minutes, ex-Glovers’ loanee Ben Seymour twisted and turned on the edge of the box but his effort was deflected wide.

Charlie Cooper picked up his regular yellow card after wrestling a Hampton player to the ground after 17 minutes, and he was followed a few minutes later by Rhys Murphy for a less obvious foul. The referee clearly keen to show he has brought his cards.

If the opening exchanges were in the visitors’ favour, Hampton grew in to the game. A clear cut opportunity still eluded either side.

It took a moment of true quality to break the deadlock. On 34 minutes, a free-kick from the right by Cooper broke to the edge of the area where Jordan STEVENS rifled home an unstoppable shot. Get the rocket emojis out.

Murphy tried to out-spectacular his team-mate moments later, but his bicycle kick from inside the box went over the bar.

The away clearly not adhering to the Green Day Clause of not judging anything (or even looking at the league table) until September is over. A chant of “we are top of the league” went up from the Keith Hussey Stand.

But their enthusiasm was not tempered by a second goal after 43 minutes. Good commitment from Alex Whittle down the left saw the ball played forward to Rhys MURPHY who toyed with the hosts’ defenders before slotted in to the far corner.

Half time: Hampton & Richmond 0 Yeovil Town 2


Second half

Referee Eugene Robinson appeared to be more focused on pulling up players for perceived time-wasting, but allowing clattering of Yeovil players. Notably Jordan Young who remained on the ground whilst the referee was unmoved. 

Fortunately not hurt, Young picked up on a blocked Murphy effort to fizz a shot wide on the hour mark before Hampton substitute Rob Hall put one over the bar.

Rhys Murphy was replaced by Jake Hyde on 69 minutes and soon picked up a yellow card for complaining at (a blatantly incorrect offside decision – as someone who was in line with it) and then five minutes later he picked up a second for a foul.

Meanwhile, Alex Whittle was replaced by Josh Owers after a heavy challenge on the full-back. You guessed it, no action taken by Mr Robinson.

It had been a quiet afternoon for Joe Day but with six minutes remaining a free-kick in to the box led to a goalmouth scramble which saw the on-loan keeper pull off a fantastic reaction stop before the ball was cleared.

With 85 minute saw Josh Staunton replace Young with the visitors looking to close the game out. Nouble slotted in to the middle of midfield, presumably for his size with Stevens left to chase up front.

I’ve broken Rule #1, so let’s do it properly. With two minutes of remaining, Morgan Williams gets a clear shove in the back. Nothing given. Hampton break down the left and find Deadfield in the box who shoots but Day saves. Presumably it requires someone in blue to commit murder to be guilty of any offence.

In the seventh minute of seven added on, a goalmouth scramble saw Matt Worthington handle on the line to keep the ball out. No hesitation from the official to give a straight red and award a spot kick which Ben SEYMOUR fired home.

There was an even hairier moment in the following added time as a push forward saw a Hampton player felled inside the box. The protests continued after the whistle giving Mr Robinson the chance to continue his inept performance with another red card for the hosts’ defender Jordan Thomas after the game was over.


Full time: Hampton & Richmond 1 Yeovil Town 2

Match Details

Venue: The Beveree Stadium
Saturday 23rd September – 15:00

Pitch: Lovely sunny day
Conditions: Looked like it hadn’t been played on – because it barely had.

Attendance: 1,269 (485 away supporters)

Scorers: Jordan Stevens (0-1), Rhys Murphy (0-2), Ben Seymour (pen 1-2)

Yeovil Town:
Charlie Cooper 17, Rhys Murphy 20, Frank Nouble 37, Michael Smith 51, Jake Hyde 69, Jake Hyde 74.
Hampton & Richmond: TBC


Yeovil Town: Jake Hyde (two bookable offences), Matt Worthington
Hampton & RIchmond – Jordan Thomas

Referee: Eugene Robinson

Yeovil Town (4-3-3)

Substitutes: Jake Hyde (for Rhys Murphy, 66), Alex Whittle (for Josh Owers, 70), Josh Staunton (for Jordan Young, 84), Jordan Maguire-Drew (not used), Will Dawes (not used).

Hampton & Richmond: Desbois, Thomas, Donaldson (for Kurran-Brown, 69), Inman, Fernandez, Seymour, Gray, Deadfield, Wishart, Dunne (for Hall, 58), Bloomfield (for Whittingham, 60).

Substitutes (not used): Cheadle, Pitblado.


Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
David Towner
6 months ago

Sounds like quite an eventful game!. At least we got the 3 points!.

6 months ago

Jordan Thomas was the Hampton player sent off after final whistle.