Venue: Hayes Lane
Tuesday, November 23rd, 7.45pm kick-off

Conditions: Blinking freezing – to put it mildly!
Pitch: Plast

Scorers: Knowles 19 (1-0), Cheek 44 pen (1-1), Wakefield 45+1 (2-1)

Referee: Tom Bishop

Yeovil Town: Moss 51, Williams 76

Sendings off:
Yeovil Town: None
Bromley: None

Yeovil Town
: (4-3-3)

Grant Smith
Dan Moss, Max Hunt, Luke Wilkinson, Jordan Barnett
Matt Worthington, Josh Staunton, Lo-Everton
Tom Knowles, Adi Yussuf, Charlie Wakefield

Substitutes: Ollie Haste, Morgan Williams (for Knowles ’73), Alex Bradley (for Lo-Everton ’88), Max Evans(GK)

Dagenham & Redbridge: Cousins, Alexander, Arthurs, Bingham, Bush, Cheek, Coulson, Dennis, Forster, Partington, Sowumni

Substitutes:  Alabi, Cawley, Sablier, Tormey, Trotter


Match Report

Yeovil Town made it three National League wins in a row and extended their unbeaten run in all competitions to seven games yesterday evening as they overcame Bromley 2-1 at Hayes Lane.

Tom Knowles opened the scoring on 18 minutes to put Town ahead but Bromley equalised just before half time from the penalty spot.

Charlie Wakefield then put Yeovil back in front just moments later with a thunderous strike and Yeovil were able to withstand some late pressure from Bromley to return home with three points.

First half

Darren Sarll made one enforced change to the side that beat Dagenham & Redbridge on Saturday as the suspended Dale Gorman was replaced by Sonny Blu Lo-Everton.

Yeovil kicked off towards the terraced end.

The home side made the brighter start of the two teams but the opening 15 minutes or so were fairly tame.

Out of nowhere Yeovil took the lead on 18 minutes as Sonny Blu Lo-Everton capitalised on a defensive mistake from former Yeovil Town defender Omar Sowunmi which allowed him to find Knowles who’s shot found the bottom corner. I should point out at this stage of the report – I didn’t actually see the goal as I was using the toilet facilities at the time – but I was reliably informed by the people around me that it was a cracking strike – apparently the best they’d ever seen!

Shortly afterwards Bromley won their first corner of the game on the left hand side which was crossed to the outside of the box and Yeovil gave away a free kick for handball in a dangerous position. The shot was deflected off the wall and out for another corner on the left hand side which was taken short but Bromley gave away a foul.

Yeovil won their first corner on 35 minutes on the right hand side which was taken short and then crossed into the center of the box but the ball was headed just wide.

Just before half time Bromley were given a way back into the game as they were awarded a penalty on 45 minutes. It was unclear as to what the penalty was given for but the Yeovil players weren’t aggrieved to see the referee point to the spot. Michael Cheek stepped up and slotted the ball past Grant Smith‘s left to pull the game level again.

Similarly to the game at Dagenham on Saturday – just when it looked like Yeovil would go in at the break all square they took the lead again. This time Charlie Wakefield found loads of space outside the Bromley penalty area and unleashed a cracking shot that flew into the top corner of the net. Apparently the first goal was even better – unfortunately I cannot be the judge of that!

Half time: Bromley 1 Yeovil Town 2

Bromley made a double substitution at half-time as Jude Arthurs was replaced by Liam Trotter and Louis Dennis was replaced by James Alabi.

It was always going to be a nervy second half for Yeovil. Playing away from home to a team that had gone 12 game unbeaten was never going to be an easy task. We had a slim advantage and needed to ensure that if we were to walk away from Hayes Lane with the win we’d have to put in an excellent shift in the second 45 minutes.

On 50 minutes Bromley won a corner on the right hand side which was crossed to the far post but Yeovil were able to defend the ball away.

Seven minutes later Yeovil were almost in dreamland as they very nearly increased their lead. Yeovil won a free kick just outside the are and Luke Wilkinson’s effort beat Mark Cousins but cannoned off the crossbar.

On 65 minutes Bromley won a succession of corners but on both occasions Yeovil were able to deal with the danger.

With 20 minutes left to play Bromley made their final substitution as George Alexander was replaced by Jack Cawley.

One minute later Bromley spurned a good chance to equalise as Omar Sowunmi put a low cross into the box which found Michael Cheek in the six yard box but he was unable to make a clean strike on the ball and Yeovil could breathe a sigh of relief.

Yeovil made their first substitution on 73 minutes as Tom Knowles was replaced by Morgan Williams.

The final 15 minutes saw Bromley dominate the game with Yeovil performing backs to the wall defending.

On 86 minutes Grant Smith came to Yeovil’s rescue as he was able to somehow hook the ball off the goal line from Omar Sowunmi’s header and protect Yeovil’s advantage.

Yeovil made their second and final substitution on 88 minutes as Sonny Blu Lo-Everton was replaced by Alex Bradley.

Five minutes of time was added on and after what felt like five years the referee blew the final whistle and Yeovil could celebrate a superb victory in front of the travelling support.

With thanks to Jake Farrant from the Green & White Supporters’ Club for allowing us to reproduce his match report.



Full time: Bromley 1 Yeovil Town 2

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments