Yeovil Town 1 Newcastle Utd 2 – Saturday 4th August 1990

Yeovil finally completed their long proposed move to a new stadium at Houndstone in 1990, after discussions had begun as early as 1985.

As we all know the old Huish ground was sold to Tesco, land was purchased from the army and the new stadium became one of the first to open after the 1989 Hillsborough disaster, with no pens or fences in sight.

At the time, the Glovers were experiencing a relatively prosperous time on the pitch under the old school management of Brian Hall, having won the Isthmian League in 1988 and finishing 7th in the Conference in 1990. They finished that season winning the Bob Lord Trophy and signed off their time at the historic old ground with a 1-0 win against Telford, with the last goal at the ground being scored on a scorching hot day by Neil Cordice.

The opening match at Huish Park took place on Saturday 4th August against Newcastle United. The Glovers lost 2-1, but did at least score their first goal at their new home on that day, thanks to a smart finish from Andy Wallace. At that time Newcastle were in the second tier, experiencing a few years in the doldrums before their revitalisation in the mid-90’s under Kevin Keegan. Keegan arrived in 1992, leading them to promotion to the Premier League the following season where they would soon challenge Man Utd for the title in 1996 and 1997. However a team slightly less illustrious than the one that would contain the likes of Alan Shearer, David Ginola and Faustino Asprilla were the visitors to Huish Park, with veterans Mark McGhee and John Anderson scoring the Magpies’ goals, before Wallace reduced the arrears in the second half.

The first competitive game took place on 18th August 1990, a Conference fixture against recently relegated Colchester. The Glovers won 2-0, with goals from Mickey Spencer and Peter Conning. Colchester’s stay in the Conference was a short one, finishing 2nd in 1991 and winners in 1992 – with 94 points, but only goal difference ahead of Wycombe. The Glovers were mid-table in their first few years at Huish Park, peaking at 4th in 1992/93.

The attendance for the Newcastle game was 5,093, which stood as a record until the visit of Hereford in the second round of the FA Cup in 1992 brought in over 8,000. This was beaten when the marginally more attractive fixture of Arsenal in the following round set a new record of 8,612 which stood until the home terrace was expanded and covered, attracting 8,868 against Rushden in 2001.

Support the Gloverscast

The Gloverscast is a volunteer run website which costs money to maintain. If ever you feel like supporting with our running costs, which include our website hosting, Zoom subscription, The Daily Glove, we’d be extremely grateful for your donations.



Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments