LDV Vans Trophy Round Two

Venue: Huish Park
Tues 4th November 2003, 7.45pm kick-off.

Conditions: Damp, mild
Ground: Perfect

Scorers: Jake Edwards (11, 1-0), Wayne Andrews (41, 1-1), Kevin Gall (66, 2-1), Scott McGleish (77, 2-2)

Attendance: 3,052 – including approx 50 Colchester supporters

Referee: Ray Olivier (West Midlands)
Assistant Refs: Bob Desmond (Wiltshire); Edward Martin (Somerset)

Yeovil: None
Colchester: None

Yeovil Town : (4-4-2)
1. Chris Weale
24. Paul Terry 2. Adam Lockwood 4. Terry Skiverton 5. Colin Pluck
20. Gavin Williams 6. Darren Way 8. Lee Johnson 10. Nick Crittenden
9. Kevin Gall 17. Jake Edwards

7. Adam Stansfield (67, for Edwards) 13. Steven Collis 15. Steven Reed (58, for Pluck) 18. Kirk Jackson 23. Jamie Gosling (120, for Skiverton)

1. Simon Brown 22. Greg Halford 5. Scott Fitzgerald 19. Alan White 25. Sam Stockley 12. Craig Fagan 6. Thomas Pinault 17. Bobby Bowry 3. Joe Keith 8. Wayne Andrews 16. Rowan Vine

4. Gavin Johnson (77, for Bowry) 9. Scott McGleish (71, for Halford) 11. Richard Johnson 13. Dean Gerken 24. Pat Baldwin (90, for Fitzgerald)

George Murray’s View Of The Game

Having suffered their first defeat in 3 games away to Bury last Saturday at Gigg Lane, Yeovil Town were hoping to bounce back from their 2-1 defeat with a win tonight. They entertained Phil Parkinson’s in-form Colchester United side who are 6th in the Nationwide Second Division in the Second Round of the LDV Vans Trophy in front of a crowd of 5,052.

Gary Johnson made two changes to his team; Terry Skiverton replaced Steven Reed who dropped to the bench and Nick Crittenden replaced Adelhalim El Kholti on the left wing.

Yeovil started attackingly and within 11 minutes Jake Edwards broke the deadlock; Kevin Gall’s cross, which was failed to be cleared by the away defence, found Edwards who slotted the ball past Colchester keeper Simon Brown from 12 yards out- 1-0.

Minutes later the in-form Edwards linked up again with his strike partner. Gall one-on-one with the U’s keeper, tried the lob which grazed over the bar, a decent chance went begging. The Glovers continued to dominate and moments later Crittenden had a good shot saved by the Colchester keeper. Edwards had a good chance to double the lead from a corner but a misplaced header went wide.

The U’s looked dangerous in the 34th minute when Wayne Andrews’ long-range shot fell wide of the Yeovil goal. Adam Lockwood was in a threatening position when a Lee Johnson free kick found Locky’s head but the shot lacked power and fell to the hands of keeper Simon Brown. Moments before the break a defensive error from captain Terry Skiverton found striker Wayne Andrews, who one-on-one with the keeper slotted past Chris Weale – 1-1.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 1 Colchester United 1

The Hoops began the second half with a number of early chances from winger Nick Crittenden and striker Jake Edwards but they both failed to cause too much trouble for keeper Simon Brown.

Colchester started to threaten the Yeovil defence on the half hour mark – a decent cross found Craig Fagan who’s shot led to a great save by Chris Weale. Kevin Gall put Yeovil back into the lead on 66 minutes – his lightening pace led to a one-on-one with the keeper and the Welshman buried the ball into the corner from 15 yards out – 2-1.

An error from young defender Steven Reed let in Andrews who failed to finish a one-on-one chance with the Yeovil keeper; but in the 77th minute a floated cross reached Scott McGleish who beat Lockwood in the air at the far post and placed the ball past Weale- 2-2.

Late in the game, Yeovil went close with chances from Reed, who’s shot lacked power, and substitute Adam Stansfield.

End of 90 minutes: Yeovil Town 2 Colchester United 2

The 90 minutes was up and it was now silver goal extra time. Neither of the two teams managed to create too many clear cut chances in the extra period other than two close penalty decisions which were turned down. Williams had the only real threat of a winner but his tired looking shot fell wide.

The match went to penalties in front of the home stand. Crittenden and Lockwood managed to convert their chances from the spot but misses from Williams and Way led Colchester to win 4-2 on penalties.

George Murray

Full Time Yeovil Town 2-2 Colchester United (Colchester win 4-2 on Penalties

MOTM Vote Result:

Player MOTM Score
Paul Terry 6 391
Kevin Gall 5 383
Jake Edwards 4 296
Nick Crittenden 3 165
Darren Way 2 157
Lee Johnson 2 113
Gavin Williams 104
Stephen Reed 1 70

Overall match rating: 7.3 / 10
Performance: 7.1
Entertainment: 7.5

23 votes received.