Venue: Huish Park
Tues 29th October 2002, 7.45pm kick-off.

Conditions: Mild
Pitch: Perfect

FA Cup 4QR Replay :
Yeovil Town 3 – 1 Bath City

Att: 4,393

Referee: Mr T Kettle

Yeovil: None
Bath: Harvey (41, dissent), Kemp (42, foul), Milsom (65, foul), Rollo (74, foul), Eaton (76, diving), Minturn (80, foul)

Line up : (3-4-1-2)

1. Chris Weale

2. Adam Lockwood

4. Terry Skiverton

14. Roy O’Brien

10. Nick Crittenden

6. Darren Way

8. Lee Johnson

11. Michael McIndoe

20. Gavin Williams

19. Abdoulai Demba

23. Howard Forinton

Substitutes: 9. Carl Alford (74, for Demba), 12. Chris Giles, 13. Jon Sheffield, 16. Andy Lindegaard (74, for Forinton) 18. Kim Grant

Bath City: (3-5-2)
Kemp, Thorne, Mintern,
Bennett, Rollo, Harvey, Andy Williams, Trought,
Eaton, Cleverley.

Subs : Foster (74, for Cleverley), Hervin, Milsom (65, for Bennett), Wilmot (46, for Harvey), Honor.

Scorers: Abdoulai DEMBA (46, 1-0) (59, 2-0), Adrian Foster (78, 2-1), Michael MCINDOE (87, 3-1)

This report courtesy of Noddy Elms:


Two second-half headed goals of stark contrast by Yeovil’s Demba put this FA Cup qualifying tie beyond Bath City.

If Gary Johnson thought tonight’s replay would be a different story to Sunday’s game, at half time he would have been strongly disappointed. Bath started as they did on Sunday. They were the more positive: continually harassing Yeovil off the ball, and, again, using the wings to good effect. In the opening twenty minutes Bath caused numerous problems for a nervy Yeovil team who seemed overly aware that they could be victims, rather than giant-killers themselves.

In the first half McIndoe was involved in Yeovil’s best efforts. After twelve minutes Demba’s challenge fed Lee Johnson on the right wing, but his cross just eluded McIndoe at the far post. Six minutes later a rare defensive error let McIndoe raid down the left wing, but this time Bryant did well to cut out Macca’s cross for Forinton.

It was not until the twenty-fifth minute one sensed that the tide might be turning in Yeovil’ s favour. Again McIndoe was the catalyst. Chasing back he regained possession and set Crittenden away. But, again, Critt’s cross was well taken by Bryant. Yeovil began to take control and created consecutive forays into Bath territory. Bath’s passing began to go astray and Eaton and Cleverly becoming isolated up front.

Within minutes McIndoe’s shot was deflected away for a corner and Skiverton headed closely over. Skivvo’s next header was on target but Williams was on hand to clear off his goal line. As Yeovil increased the pressure Bath became more frustrated and desperate. Within quick succession Mr Kettle yellow carded the first of two Bath players in what became a demanding job for the evening.

Bath gained respite only when Yeovil conceded possession when pushing forward, they countered quickly, but Yeovil always seemed to recover before Weale could be troubled in his goal. But, the final action of the half may have been the most significant. Roy O’Brien surging down the left, linking well with McIndoe, eventually setting Macca up for a shot on goal. Again, Bryant gathered safely.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Bath City 0.

Bath replaced Harvey with Wilmot at half time.

If many of the Yeovil faithful had expected their heroes to start the first half like the proverbial rocket: they had to wait until the second half for that. Yeovil’s first attack of the second half saw O’Brien surging down the left wing once more. His cross from deep was inch perfect. Curling away from Bryant it found Demba on the edge of the Bath goal area. He soared high into the Somerset evening, unchallenged he powered his header downwards and well beyond the reach of Bryant. It was an excellent cross by O’Brien and executed majestically. As the Main Stand rose in appreciation Demba must have reflected on Sunday’s game: “If only The Gaffer had kept me on for the second half”.

Bath responded positively and Yeovil defended deeply for some minutes. But by now, the boot was on the Yeovil foot, and Yeovil played with supreme composure and confidence.

Thirteen minutes later the game was, in reality, all but over. Again it was Demba. If his first goal was one of skill, his second was pure reaction. Darren Way’s strong cross into a crowded Bath box ricocheted from one body to another. A leg struck out and the ball appeared destined for the corner flag. But, Demba was on hand, and as the ball flashed across his face he powered it into the back of the Bath goal. Yeovil 2 Bath 0.

Yeovil now played with a supreme swagger and the Westland Stand chorused, unkindly “There’s only one team in Bath; there’s only …”. Way and Johnson now bossed the midfield and were instrumental in the best move of the night, Demba’s back post header concluding the patient build-up. Bryant was again on hand to save well.

Bath again responded positively and were unlucky not to score. Weale blocked at Eaton’s feet after the former Glover broke behind the Yeovil defence.

Yeovil replaced Demba and Forinton with Alford and Lindegaard in a straight swap, Bath replaced Bennett and Cleverley with Milsom and Foster. Foster received the expected barracking from his former “fans” and it almost seemed an insult to introduce the Yeovil cabbie into the Bath strike-force. However, he who laughs last – On seventy seven minutes Yeovil dallied in clearing a left wing attack and the ball was eventually crossed for Foster to get the deftest of headers and the ball looped over Weale’s outstretched reach. If only we had had a decent pitch in Fozzy’s day… . Yeovil 2 Bath 1.

The game was finely balanced, and the action was far from over. The game swung from one end to the other and either team could have scored. Lindegaard’s pace and Alford’s strength now tested the Bath defence; a Lindegaard header was the best effort from the two fresh strikers. But it was McIndoe who underlined Yeovil’s supremacy on eighty-six minutes. McIndoe found himself half way into the Bath half out by the right-hand touchline. He picked his spot and, with his favoured left foot, lashed an unstoppable shot into the top left hand corner of the Bath goal from twenty-five metres. Yeovil 3 Bath 1.

Bath battled to the end and Foster should have done better a minute later. But after a slow start, against a resolute Bath side, Yeovil won through.

Final score: Yeovil Town 3 Bath City 1.

Noddy Elms

Internet Man of the Match Voting Result:

Player MOTM Score
Darren Way 15 544
Michael McIndoe 7 438
Abdoulai Demba 2 256
Roy O’Brien 2 188
Lee Johnson 2 100
Chris Weale 2 88
Nick Crittenden 1 56
Howard Forinton 1 56

Overall match rating: 6.3 / 10
Performance: 6
Entertainment: 6.6

32 votes received.