Venue: Huish Park – Home At Last!
Tues 24th September 2002, 7.45pm kick-off.

Conditions: Dry and fresh.
Ground: New and grassy.

Nationwide Conference :
Yeovil Town 4 – 0 Woking

Att: 4,003

Referee: Mr S.R.Brand

Yeovil: Forinton (32, foul), Skiverton (60, foul), Way (62, foul)
Woking: Brady (11, foul), Sandford (40, foul).

Line up : (3-4-1-2)

13. Jon Sheffield

2. Adam Lockwood

4. Terry Skiverton

5. Colin Pluck

10. Nick Crittenden

6. Darren Way

8. Lee Johnson

11. Michael McIndoe

20. Gavin Williams

23. Howard Forinton

19. Abdoulai Demba

Substitutes: 1. Chris Weale 12. Chris Giles 9. Carl Alford (46, for Demba), 14. Roy O’Brien (69, for Forinton), 16. Andy Lindegaard (85 for Pluck)

Woking: (3-5-2) Farrelly,
Boardman, Smith, Sandford,
Piper, Brady, Evers, Rodger, Allman,
Abbey, Payne. .
Subs : Moore (45, for Rodger), Banger (63, for Piper), Kember, Tucker, Reeks

Scorers: Abdoulai DEMBA (1-0, 39 mins), Michael McINDOE (2-0, 41 mins), Terry SKIVERTON (3-0, 44 mins), Howard FORINTON (59 mins).

This report courtesy of Noddy Elms:

Yeovil returned to the relaid Huish Park pitch to put on a scintillating four-goal massacre of a Woking side in free-fall in both league position and ability. The only surprise was that it took until the fortieth minute for Yeovil to open the scoring. Once the Woking defence had been breached the floodgates opened. By half-time Yeovil had added further goals, and the game was all but over as a contest.

The game had opened at a pace with McIndoe swarming down his wing to torment ex-Yeovil favourite Piper. Yeovil held the majority of possession in the opening minutes and Woking only threatened when Lockwood played his own keeper into difficulty. Despite their possession it wasn’t until the twelfth minute when Yeovil produced their first goalmouth threat, the Woking defence looked decidedly stretched but managed to block consecutive shots from Gavin Williams and Terry Skiverton. For the first twenty minutes the Yeovil midfield, in particular, had chased and hassled throughout. Woking had often been caught in possession and Yeovil swept forward, wave after wave.

On fourteen minutes Woking produced their first and only threat of the half when Brady latched on to a chest-down to flash a strong shot past Sheffield’s left hand post from distance.

Yeovil’s next chance came on twenty-five minutes when McIndoe sent a strong left-footer fizzing across the Woking goal. From that point Yeovil relaxed and the game took a slight breather.

However, it was Darren Way’s tenacity in the thirty-eighth minute that won Yeovil a right-wing corner that lead to the first goal. McIndoe’s left-footed in-swinger was shallow and it appeared to be a formality that it would be cleared at the near-post. But the defensive clearance was sliced and the ball flew into the six-yard box. Abdoulai DEMBA willingly grabbed the opportunity to make history and be the first to score on Yeovil’s new turf. Yeovil 1 Woking 0.

Almost immediately from the kick-off the Woking defence were under pressure. Sandford collected a booking for up-ending Darren Way on the edge of the Woking box. Michael McINDOE stepped up and majestically curled his twenty-five yard free kick inside Farrelly’s left-hand post. Yeovil 2 Woking 0.

If Woking had any idea of hanging on till half-time it was now party time at Huish Park, and captain Marvel was keen to add to his goal scoring exploits. Darren Way was again rewarded with a corner on the left. The ensuing cross was deep into the danger area and there were a number of efforts cleared off the goal line before Terry SKIVERTON powered his header into the net for his fifth goal of the season. Yeovil 3 Woking 0.

With four minutes of added Crittenden had time to flash a shot over the Woking bar and then set up Demba, who was unfortunate when his jack-knife header flew straight at Farrelly. The referee’s half time whistle must have been a relief to the embattled Woking squad.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 3 Woking 0.

Not surprisingly the second half was a little more subdued, Yeovil had done the business and exuded an air of composure and confidence. That said: their opening attacks were significantly more positive than those in the first half. McIndoe and Williams combined to win a corner on the left, Alford powerfully headed over the cross. A couple of minutes later Forinton should have done better, when he was guilty of heading over a clearer opportunity.

From that chance Woking broke quickly to create their best opportunity of the game. Brady finished the break by producing a strong shot that flashed past a Yeovil post. Brady was the only threat to the Yeovil goal, always willing to try his luck from distance. But his shooting was rarely accurate and failed to produce a meaningful save from Sheffield throughout.

Fifty-six minutes produced one of the most exciting breaks of the evening. McIndoe speedily broke down the left wing and sent in a first time cross. Farrelly was undoubtedly struggling to cover at the back post but just managed to get a touch to deflect the cross onto the incoming Alford. The touch was just enough to thwart the Yeovil striker.

Woking were, by now, long dead and buried, and it came as no surprise that Yeovil added to the score-line. Lee Johnson’s short corner on fifty minutes was whipped into the Woking box. Howard FORINTON, standing on the penalty spot reacted instinctively and deflected the cross inside the far post. Yeovil 4 Woking 0. Forinton was delighted to open his Huish Park scoring account in his second spell at the club: he was able to take the crowd’s applause when he was replaced by O’Brien.

Yeovil switched to a 4-4-2 and dropped down a gear or two and Woking came more into the game. Brady continued to try his luck from distance, unsuccessfully, and Skiverton was called upon to head clear in his own six-yard box.

With five minutes left Lindegaard replaced Pluck and injected more urgency up front. Lindegaard’s first contribution was to draw the Woking defence wide as McIndoe bore down on goal; Farrelly did well to hold his powerful shot. The same two Yeovil strikers combined well moments later and Lindegaard was unlucky when his shot was cleared off the line. Before the final whistle Farrelly was to again deny Lindegaard, tipping away his strong left-footed shot.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 4 Woking 0.

What can one say: A flawless performance that was never in doubt.

Noddy Elms

Internet Man of the Match Result:

Player MOTM Score
Michael McIndoe 41 839
Terry Skiverton 3 214
Lee Johnson 4 182
Darren Way 3 168
Gavin Williams 1 123
Nick Crittenden 1 119
Colin Pluck 2 56
Abdoulai Demba 2 46

Overall match rating: 9.2 / 10
Performance: 9.1
Entertainment: 9.3

57 votes received.

Green and White Goals