Att: 3,157

Line up : (3-5-2)

Jon Sheffield

Terry Skiverton

Tom White

Anthony Tonkin

Nick Crittenden

Darren Way

Lee Johnson

Michael McIndoe

Andy Turner

Carl Alford

Scott Ramsay

Subs used:
Barrington Belgrave (46 mins for Ramsay), Roy O’Brien (46 mins for Skiverton), Chris Giles (71 mins for Turner).

1. Tony Tucker, 2. David Piper, 3. Robert Hollingdale, 4. Steve West (Capt.), 5. Paul Steele, 6. Junior Kadi, 7. Dean Chandler, 8. Barry Moore, 9. Scott Steele, 10. Charlie Griffin, 11. Scott Huckerby. Subs used:
Warren Haughton (78 mins for Huckerby), Stuart Reeks (78 mins for S. Steele).

Scorers: Scott Huckerby (32 mins, 0-1), Charlie Griffin (33 mins, 0-2), Carl ALFORD (45 mins, 1-2), Junior Kadi (84 mins, 1-3)

This report courtesy of Fe7:

Following a run of three straight wins tonight’s contest against Woking was well within Yeovil’s reach. Surely, against a team that has only notched up one win so far this season, a Yeovil victory should be a formality.

Back to the game.

Yeovil named its familiar starting line-up. Woking line-up was also familiar: David Piper, Paul Steele and Dean Chandler, and of course Colin Lippiatt in charge.

A minutes silence was observed [in memory of Stan Harland] and the game began, despite vocal support from the Westland Terrace, in an equally subdued atmosphere.

The referee was first into action after two minutes, imposing his control on the game by booking Woking’s Robert Hollingdale for a late challenge on Darren Way.

Yeovil created the first strike, a shot from Crittenden, which Woking’s keeper, Anthony Tucker, pushed away for a corner. The first real opportunity fell to Yeovil on seven minutes: an excellent through ball by Alford, but Ramsay, beating Tucker, but failing to hit the target.

Yeovil continued to have the best of the following minutes: good work by MacIndoe down the right, Skiverton heading his cross just past the post; good work by MacIndoe and Alford put Ramsay through, but again the Yeovil striker failed to hit the target.

Woking broke occasionally and eventually won their first corner after 16 minutes, this failed to cause any concern. As Woking were unable to create any problems, Yeovil managed to create one or two problems for themselves: a poor defensive clearance ending with a good save from Sheffield.

Despite Yeovil’s upper hand the game maintained a subdued atmosphere. Yeovil played as if tired from Saturday’s television appearance, or for some reason stuck in an “exhibition” style of play: supreme control but little passion or urgency.

A long free kick by Tucker on 32 minutes was flicked on to Scott Huckerby, who, back to the Yeovil goal, cleverly flicked the ball with his right foot so that it arched over the stranded Sheffield. A minute later, while Skiverton and Yeovil pressed forward in the Woking box, a quick break left Charlie Griffin clear inside the Yeovil half, bearing down on goal he stayed calm to coolly slot the ball past Sheffield. As quickly as that it was Yeovil 0 Woking 2.

Yeovil stuck to the same game plan, after all, they had been in control before the two goals. Again Yeovil managed to create problems for themselves: a Tonkin back-pass putting unnecessary pressure on Sheffield as he tangled with Huckerby.

While Yeovil’s approach work often lacked a cutting edge, they did manage to put together one of the sweetest moves of the game on 44 minutes. Sweeping inter-play found Way on the right, his curling cross was met by Carl Alford at the near post whose header powered the ball past Tucker. Yeovil 1 Woking 2, just what Yeovil needed before half time, surely they could turn things round in the second half.

Half Time: Yeovil 1 Woking 2.

Surprisingly, O’Brien and Belgrave replaced Skiverton and Ramsay at the start of the second half. And, surprisingly, Woking started the brighter of the two teams, forcing two corners in the opening minutes.

Yeovil settled down and started pushing forward. However, a more confident Woking now put together their own moves and the game swung from one end to the other.

Yeovil came close on 53 minutes when Crittenden’s dipping cross was met by Alford’s chest, the ball bobbled up but bounced off the bar out to touch instead of dropping into the goal. Belgrave’s shot, minutes later, was easily saved by Tucker. Later a good lay-back by Belgrave to Crittenden resulted with his shot flashing over the cross-bar. Minutes later Alford, beyond the far post, was on the end of MacIndoe’s curling cross, but his header failed to hit the target and drifted limply across the face of the goal and out for a goal kick.

Yeovil were again in control of the game, and it seemed as if their pressure should produce an equaliser. However, Woking were content to soak up Yeovil’s pressure, their own advances relegated to long balls from defence. Although Yeovil corners followed in quick succession, and the Yeovil mid-field maintained possession, to be honest there were few, if any significant goal-scoring opportunities.

In order to add further urgency, Gary Johnson introduced Chris Giles for Andy Turner on 70 minutes, and Yeovil switched to a 3-4-3 formation. While Giles posed a different problem for the Woking defence playing in a front three often relegated him to the role of a left-winger and Giles was unable to fulfil his super-sub potential.

A number of Yeovil efforts either flew over the Woking bar, or past the Woking posts, Yeovil were time after time failing to hit the target. The Woking defence defended deeply, and effectively.

Just when it appeared as though White, O’Brien and Sheffield, were in complete control at the back, a quick counter attack on 84 minutes left Woking’s Junior Kadi with plenty of time to slip the ball under the advancing Sheffield to make it Yeovil 1 Woking 3.

The game was all but over. The remaining Yeovil crowd hung on for the final minutes to pointlessly tick away.

Final Score: Yeovil 1 Woking 3.

Despite much expectation, Yeovil failed to deliver. Despite significant periods of control, a well-organised and competent defence easily subdued them where it mattered, in the box. Pretty movement in midfield is of no consequence if the final ball is poor, or ill conceived. Despite many chances, the quality was poor, all too often the Yeovil strikers failed to hit the target. It really is difficult to remember when Tucker was required to make a save. If you don’t hit the target, you will not score. And if you fail to defend effectively for ninety minutes you will lose.