Nationwide Conference :
Yeovil Town 1 – 1 Doncaster Rovers

Att: 2,650

Line up : (3-5-2)

Chris Weale

Adam Lockwood

Colin Pluck

Anthony Tonkin

Nick Crittenden

Paul Broad

Steve Thompson

Michael McIndoe

Andy Turner

Carl Alford

Adam Stansfield

Subs used: Tom White (59, for Broad), Darren Way (59, for Turner), Chris Giles (75, for Alford)

1. Andy Warrington 2. Simon Marple 3. Dean Barrick 4. Jimmy Kelly 5. Barry Miller 6. Jamie Squires 7. Andy Watson 8. Gareth Owen 9. Neil Campbell 10. Mark Sale 11. Jamie Paterson
No subs used.

Scorers: Jamie Paterson (57 mins, 0-1), Michael McINDOE (86 mins, 1-1)

This report courtesy of Fe7:

Following three straight wins Yeovil entertained Doncaster Rovers at Huish Park today. Doncaster Rovers, despite their mid-table position, have lost only once away this season. They are the Conference draw masters with six away draws out, and five home draws. Despite the absence of £150,000 striker Justin Jackson, Doncaster Rovers were always to be a strong test for Gary Johnson’s revitalised team.

Today’s match followed a familiar pattern: Yeovil dominance for most of the game, plenty of opportunities but no break-through, concede the opening goal and struggle against a dogged visiting defence. To be honest the game should have been very different.

Yeovil opened brightly, creating two well-worked opportunities in the opening minutes. If one or both of those had hit the target, who knows what might have happened. As it was the remainder of the first half was memorable in as much that it was so forgettable. Yeovil and Doncaster were both content with taking no risks and ensuring parity at half time.

The second half threatened to emulate the first until Yeovil left themselves too thin at the back and a quick Doncaster break lead to the opening goal. Yeovil immediately brought on Tom White whose thoughtful defensive play allowed Yeovil to create more attacking chances. Time and again Yeovil squandered good opportunities, or Andy Warrington, in the Doncaster goal, produced one fine save after another.

As the minutes ticked away Doncaster to their credit, and downfall, continued to play attacking football in order to extend their lead. With Doncaster stretched at the back, Yeovil players piled into the Doncaster box, one shot after another were blocked by Warrington and his defenders until eventually captain Michael McIndoe succeeded where all his troops had failed.

With only minutes to go Yeovil could have completed the turn-around: a disastrous back-pass allowed super-sub Christopher Giles to beat Warrington and slide his shot under Warringtons body and goal-ward. To the disappointment of the Yeovil crowd his shot came to rest at the foot of Warringtons left hand post and failed to spin into the back of the net. Doncasters defence were quickest to react and the ball was coolly played away from danger.

Yeovil’s first opportunity came in the opening minutes: a well worked training-ground free kick from about twenty yard. Crittenden’s short ball to McIndoe was played behind the defensive wall to provide a clear opportunity from Adam Stansfield whose shot crashed into the charging body of the Doncaster keeper.

Minutes later Stansfield’s shot was tipped over the bar by Warrington after Steve Thompson had played him in with an excellent ball.

The first half settled down to a rather tedious affair punctuated by what appeared to be Mr Marriners all too frequent whistle. In response to Mr Marriners accurate interpretation of the rules both sides played spells of skilful passing football. But, all too often, one attack broke down with a timely interception, or a poor final ball that rolled through to keeper or defender, and back we went again.

The tricky Jamie Paterson and the tall Mark Sale were Doncaster’s main threats while Adam Stansfield’s speed was causing Doncaster problems. Yeovil won numerous corners and free kicks, but without a tall striker Crittenden’s right footed in-swingers and McIndoe’s left footed in-swingers caused Doncaster few problems: one almost screamed for a little variation.

Half Time: Yeovil 0 Doncaster 0

The second half started, lively, as the first and Adam Stansfield did well to get in behind the Doncaster defence but could only run the ball into Warrington when he might have hoped to do better.

Doncaster appeared composed and never overawed, and it was as a result of their patience that on fifty four minutes they opened the scoring. Having teased the Yeovil defence forward they struck quickly down the right wing through Andy Watson: his shot was parried by Chris Weale, but Jamie Paterson was first to the ball and struck it past Weale as he struggled to his feet. Yeovil 0 Doncaster 1.

Seconds later Doncaster were unlucky not to extend their lead when Gareth Owen again beat Anthony Tonkin down the right to strike an excellent shot past Weale, but this time the underside of his cross bar came to his rescue.

Gary Johnson immediately introduced Tom White and Darren Way in place of Andy Turner and Joe Broad. White moved into the back and Yeovil changed to a 4-4-2 formation.

White immediately began finding his strikers with balls played out of defence.

Darren Way also contributed positively: Stansfield forcing his way past the Doncaster defence and sending in a cross that McIndoe just failed to reach at the far post.

Minutes later Thompson provided for Alford with a quick ball into the box, but Alfords attempted volley from six yards almost cleared the Westland Stand Terrace. That should have been the equaliser.

Doncaster continued to counter attack throughout and appeared to believe they could extend their lead, more than once were Yeovil nerves, and defence, stretched to the limit.

Christopher Giles replaced Carl Alford and immediately he was in the six-yard box, but his header failed to have sufficient power. Seconds later Darren Way’s twenty five yard shot skimmed off the top of the Doncaster cross bar.

With Yeovil taking further risks and pushing forward it was only just that the equaliser should come, but it was not a classic. As a number of Yeovil players had shots from inside the box, Warrington appeared to be unbeatable, but the ball fell to Michael McIndoe on the six-yard line and he made no mistake in beating Warrington and a number of Doncaster defenders on their line.

And, it would have also been just if Yeovil had snatched the winner. That opportunity fell to Christopher Giles. But, as he beat Warrington to a poor back-pass his shot failed to sneak inside the post.

Final Score: Yeovil 1 Doncaster 1.

Yeovil started brightly and appeared to have the better of Doncaster. Despite two close chances in the opening minutes, that performance was not repeated until the dying minutes. That was disappointing. Passion appeared to be missing until then. We gave the initiative away, and paid for it.