LDV Trophy:
Yeovil Town 3 – 0 Queens Park Rangers

Att: 2,879

Line up : (4-4-2)

Chris Weale

Tommy Schram

Tom White

Gary Haveron

Anthony Tonkin

Nick Crittenden

Lee Johnson

Michael McIndoe

Andy Turner

Carl Alford

Chris Giles

Subs used: Kim Grant (78, for Alford)

1. Chris Day, 11. Marcus Bignot, 2. Mark Perry, 28. Azziz Ben Askar, 12. Matthew Rose, 3. Paul Bruce, 26. Alex Bonnot, 4. Steve Palmer (Capt), 7. Stuart Wardley, 10. Karl Connolly, 27. Andy Thomson.
Subs used : Hamid Barr (68 mins for Bignot), 22. Richard Pacquette (59 mins for Wardley), 29. Doudou Ebeh M’bombo (68 mins for Bonnot),

Scorers: Giles (1-0, 37 mins), Grant (2-0, 80 mins), Giles (3-0, 90 mins)

This report courtesy of Andrew Foot:

Second Division Queens Park Rangers were run ragged and ripped apart by a superb Yeovil Town performance as The Glovers produced the shock of the day in the LDV Vans Trophy 1st Round.

The match was always going to be tough for the visitors, Yeovil’s giantkilling status is no secret, but surely no one within the ground would have predicted the result prior to kick-off. QPR, who turned out in the Premiership just 5 years ago, fielded a full strength team, with just 2 changes from the side who took on Wrexham in the Nationwide League Second Division on Saturday. The visitors side contained several players recognisable to the Yeovil fans. Goalkeeper Chris Day used to ply his trade at Spurs, while Marcus Bignot has turned out for Bristol Rovers. Midfielder Matthew Rose is a name likely to be remembered by Arsenal fans, and Fraser Digby, Rangers sub keeper made several top flight appearances for Swindon Town.

Yeovil also have players with League, even Premiership, experience. Nick Crittenden turned out for Chelsea, Andy Turner actually became the youngest player to score in the top flight when he was at Tottenham and the likes of Colin Pluck, Lee Johnson and Michael McIndoe have all played League football at some point in their careers.

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson also has a fair deal of experience to his name, and the former Latvia boss needed to call on it when making his team selection. He was without no less than 8 players for the match. One of these was Scott Ramsay, who was denied permission to play by current club Brighton & Hove Albion. His absence gave a chance to trialist Kim Grant. The striker made his debut in the 1-1 draw at Dagenham, and impressed enough to win another place on the bench. Ramsay’s absence also meant another chance for former Reserve team player Chris Giles, who took his place in the starting line-up. There was also a place in the side for Andy Turner, who came in, in place of Darren Way. Adam Lockwood, signed on a permanent contract after coming to Huish Park on loan, faced his second match out through suspension as a result of the red card he received against Leigh RMI in the Conference. Dane Tommy Schram, at Yeovil on a months trial, took the place of Lockwood at right back.

The vocal Yeovil fans got themselves started 15 minutes before kick-off, and were helped in their attempts to create an atmosphere by several fireworks, fired from the centre of the pitch, moments before the two sides made their entrance, side by side, on to the Huish Park pitch.

Yeovil made the visitors well aware of their aims within the opening minute, winning a corner on the left hand side. Although this came to nothing, Yeovil could have gone ahead minutes later. Striker Carl Alford found himself with a bit of space in the box, and could consider himself unlucky as Day kept his effort out. Alford was causing the visitors problems, and it was his ball which just evaded the outstretched boot of Andy Turner in front of goal soon after. With just 10 minutes on the clock, Yeovil came agonisingly close to taking the lead. The in-form Lee Johnson picked the ball up on the edge of the box. Some fantastic close control took him into the heart of the Londoners defence, and, as he rounded Day, the manager’s son looked likely to score. He had been driven slightly wide, though, and could only look on as Matthew Rose cleared from under his own crossbar.

Chris Weale wasnt under the sort of pressure he might have been forgiven for expecting, but, when called upon, he showed he could match anything thrown at him by the Rangers front men. The youngster dealt well with several looping crosses, and did well do smother a number of long through balls.

Back at the other end, and the Yeovil strikers were doing their bit to make sure Weale’s work didnt go to waste. Chris Giles should have given his former Yeovil Reserve team mate something to celebrate, but he clearly wasnt expecting Andy Turner’s cross to reach him, and he hit the side netting when faced with an open goal from close range. The teenager was to have the last laugh though, when he opened the scoring 8 minutes before the break. Some good midfield attacking work by Nick Crittenden and Lee Johnson found the latter with the ball inside the box. He jinxed and dummied his way past his marker, before crossing for Chris GILES to slide in and push the ball past a desperately diving keeper. It was, in the context of the fixture, a shock lead, but it was nothing less than Yeovil deserved, and the QPR fans, the first in the away terrace this season, may have been glad it wasnt more.

Carl Alford again went close just before half time, his effort was cleared off the line by Karl Connelly, and Yeovil went in 1-0 up at the break.

With QPR the higher ranked side, Yeovil must have expected the worst as the sides emerged for the second half. These worries of an onslaught had vanished almost before they had begun, though. Tom White, Haveron, Schram and Anthony Tonkin did have to make some important challenges as they tried to keep the visitors out, but Weale was again never really tested. However, he did make an excellent save 9 minutes into the second half, when he got down well to save from former Bristol Rovers man Marcus Bignot. Mark Perry and Karl Connolly both had chances to level before Yeovil had a chance to relieve the pressure a bit . They almost put the game beyond their visitors when a good cross from the left was just missed, first, by Alford, and then, agonisingly, by Giles.

The visitors day was summed up in almost 2 moments at a now rain soaked Huish Park. The first of these came on 75 minutes, when Connolly, who had looked the biggest threat to Weale’s goal somehow managed to fire over with only the keeper to beat. It looked easier to hit the back of the net. They were made to pay for this missed chance on 80 minutes. Just moments after replacing Alford, Kim Grant picked the ball up in a seemingly harmless position. As Crittenden and Giles streamed forward in support, GRANT took the ball himself towards a back pedalling defence. He didnt need a second opportunity, and fired the ball into the corner of the net, past the despairing hand of Day. The win was now safe, and the party could start in the Westland Stand. The terrace almost burst with the sort of noise and obvious passion from the home fans which hasnt been able to escape several times this season. The pressures of the league were off, it was League opposition, Yeovil were on fire, and the fans were loving it.

Things were to get worse for QPR. Not only did the rain get harder over the uncovered away terrace, but Aziz Ben Asker seemed to forget what sport he was playing, and hauled down Grant, when the striker was clean through on goal. The referee had no choice but to send Ben Asker off, and supply the Yeovil fans, many of whom had now formed a Conga line, with something else to celebrate.

Deep into injury time came the nights second moment which could sum up the match so well. Some good work from Crittenden allowed him to leave 2 defenders flat footed. The former Chelsea man worked his way to the by line, before pulling the ball back for GILES to back heel in the cheekiest of goals, and finish the tie off in perfect fashion.

Just seconds later, and the final whistle blew, and Yeovil had again shown their potential as giantkillers. It was a magnificent display from a Yeovil side who now look as though they have the confidence and belief to achieve more this season. Many clubs see the LDV Vans Trophy as a Mickey Mouse cup. If it is then maybe the 2,500 Yeovil fans should book their trips to Disneyland now, because Yeovil Town have supplied their fans with yet another night to remember. I am sure Yeovil fans would welcome their Cardiff counterparts along too as the Welshmen gave Yeovil’s old promotion rivals, Rushden & Diamonds, a lesson in football with a 7-1 drubbing at Ninian Park.

As if the match itself hadnt been good enough, there was more good news for one player. Defender Tom White, who said his perfect draw would be Bristol Rovers away, must have been delighted when the news came through of the Second Round draw – Yeovil Town travel to Bristol Rovers Memorial Ground on Wednesday 31st October, with a 7:45pm kick-off.