Somerset Premier Cup 1st Round
Yeovil Town 3 Minehead 0

Att : 136

Scorers: Parkinson (7 mins, 1-0), Thompson (42 mins, 2-0), Giles (55 mins, 3-0)

Officials: Referee – Mr. A. Smith. Assistants: Mr. D. McEllen, Mr. B. Richards

Bookings :
Yeovil : Cooper (37), Mali (71)
Margate : Todd (81)

Starting Line-Up : 1. Stephen Collis, 2. Matthew Peters, 3. Michael Cooper, 4. Gary Haveron, 5. Andrew Turner Jnr, 6. Andrew Lindegaard, 7. Steve Thompson, 8. Faisal Mali, 9. Christopher Giles, 10. Richard Parkinson, 11. Carmine Notaro.
Subs: 12. Christopher Luke (57 mins for Giles) 14. Ross Newell (59 mins for Thompson) 15. Richard Lindegaard (59 mins for A. Lindegaard) 13/GK. Luke Buckingham.

Minehead: 1. Gareth Evans, 2. Tony Hills, 3. Damian Magee, 4. Matt Heywood, 5. Andrew Giblett, 6. Luke Taylor, 7. Steve Perkins, 8. Brian Hall, 9. Gary Bennett, 10. Craig Carr, 11. David Sowden.
Subs: 12. Matt Taylor (74 mins for Heywood) 14. Lee Todd (55 mins for Giblett) 15. Matt Muscroft (78 mins for Carr)

Yeovil strolled through to the second round of the Somerset Premier Cup against an ineffective Minehead side. Minehead might have recalled the 9-1 drubbing that Yeovil Reserves handed out last season, and appeared content to keep the score line down to an acceptable level.

However, the game started quite differently, the Minehead attack struck Steve Collis’s left hand post after 5 minutes. If that had gone in who knows how the game might have progressed.

As it was, two minutes later, an excellent through ball by Lindegaard beat the offside trap and Richard Parkinson, with plenty of time and space, shot well from just inside the Minehead penalty box to open the scoring.

Lindegaard could have added a second on eleven minutes but his fierce shot was well blocked by the Minehead keeper. Soon Parkinson header over the bar and Giles headed past the post.

At the back Copper, Haveron and A. Turner Jnr. coped effectively with the few Minehead moves that approached the Yeovil penalty box.

The game fell into a consistent pattern, Yeovils pace and skill continually beating Minehead to the ball, setting up attack after attack. Yeovil concentrated many attacks down the right and Peters and Lindegaard pushed forward quickly for the later to send numerous crosses into the box. Yeovil continued to create half chances through the silky skills of Mali, the most noteworthy a Parkinson shot and a Cooper header.

It was no surprise, except that it took so long coming, that Yeovil extended their lead. On 43 minutes Giles found Steve Thompson in the box, Thompson was out wide on the goal line, his chip floated over the Minehead keepers head and into the back of the net at the far post.

Half Time: Yeovil Town 2 Minehead 0

The second half was very similar to the first, Yeovil dominated throughout. Giles soon flashed a header and then a shot wide. Lindegaard worked well on the right to find Parkinson in the penalty box at the near post, he should have done better in pulling the ball back.

Despite the attacks that Yeovil had put together it was ironic that Yeovil’s third goal came from a defensive mistake. On 53 minutes a poor Minehead back pass from the centre spot found Chris Giles half way inside his opponents half, holding off a defender and still with plenty to do finished well with a strong shot from the edge of the Minehead box.

This heralded Giles departure as Luke replaced him. Shortly, Yeovil completed their substitutions as R. Lindegaard and Newell replaced A. Lindegaard and Thompson. Yeovil reorganised so that R. Lindegaard filled the right back spot with Peters pushing up into midfield. Newell filled the left back spot as A. Turner Jnr. moved into the centre back spot, Cooper moving into midfield.

Minehead took advantage as Yeovil settled, heading over the bar. A few minutes later a Minehead free kick from outside the box took a wicked deflection and spun out of play past Colliss left hand post as he moved towards his right. That was the extent of Mineheads attacks for the rest of the half.

Yeovil picked the pace up again, Mali creating opportunities from midfield linking well with the enthusiastic Cooper, and Luke impressing by causing additional problems. Luke came close as Mali rose for a cross, it fell to Luke inside the six yard box, but he was unfortunate that his crowded shot glanced off the top of the cross bar. Luke had another opportunity shortly after but his shot was well blocked on the edge of the Minehead box.

Haveron entertained the crowd by selling the Minehead attackers dummy after dummy then playing long, accurate balls into the danger area.

Yeovil continued in control to the end, and finally, Parkinson’s shot flashed just past the Minehead post.

Yeovil did the job effectively and efficiently, while Minehead were no serious challenge you can do no more than win well. Many of their young players performed beyond their years.

Final Score : Yeovil Town 3 Minehead 0

Man Of The Match:

As voted for by YTFC fans on the internet, click here for more information.

As far as the main competition goes, the MOTM result is void for this match due to only 5 valid submissions being received. However the result of those five submissions were as follows –

1. Steve Thompson
2. Richard Parkinson
3. Gary Haveron

MATCH RATING – 7 (out of 10)

5 votes received.