FA Trophy 5th Round :
Yeovil Town 2 – 1 Canvey Island

Att: 3,616

Line up : (3-5-2)

Chris Weale

Adam Lockwood

Terry Skiverton

Anthony Tonkin

Nick Crittenden

Lee Johnson

Tom White

Roy O’Brien

Michael McIndoe

Kim Grant

Adam Stansfield

Subs used: Steve Thompson (87, for Johnson), Carl Alford (46, for Grant)

Harrison, Bodley, Ward, Smith, Kennedy, Simpson, Parmenter, Tilson, Duffy, Gregory, Boylan

Subs used: Cobb (76, for Bodley), Miller (64, for Parmenter)

Scorers: STANSFIELD (17, 1-0), CRITTENDEN pen (79, 2-0), Cobb (89, 2-1)

This report courtesy of Fe7:

Gary Johnson successfully plotted Yeovils course to the Umbro Trophy quarterfinals against Canvey Island tonight. You can argue that Johnson showed Canvey the respect the holders deserved by fielding a strong defensive line-up, or that he outwitted Jeff King, the Canvey Manager, by letting Canvey attack, and striking on the counter-attack. Either way, the Yeovil crowd came away content, if not overawed, by standard of their teams performance.

The goal tally could well have been towards double figures. At one end Adam Stansfield continually caused the Canvey defence significant trouble with his speed, either making chances for himself, or setting up his teammates. Canvey displayed a high level of skill and movement and were unfortunate that Chris Weale was in top form in pulling off at least three crucial fingertip saves.

It was, in fact, Canvey who started the brighter and more positive with four attacks in as many minutes, eventually calling Weale into making an excellent block from about three yards out.

It was not until the 12th minute when Johnsons tactics became evident: Antony Tonkin played an excellent ball over the Canvey defence for Kim Grant, but Kim chose to shoot from twenty-five yards rather than taking the ball forward, his looping shot drifted well wide of the right hand post. A minute later it was Stansfield who was on the receiving end of a similar moved, again the moves conclusion was fruitless.

But the next carbon copy on 16 minutes was much more fruitful. Stansfield, again, was instrumental in latching on to a through ball. This time he rounded Harrison and squared the ball for the oncoming MacIndoe who completed the simple formality at the far post. Yeovil 1 Canvey 0.

Canvey responded well and soon Tonkin was needed to hook the ball out of the Yeovil penalty box, then Weale needed to rush out to the edge of his box to punch clear.

The game quietened down and both teams reverted to their game plans. Yeovil continued to try and find Stansfield behind the Canvey defence, while Canvey continued to pump the ball out of defence, Skiverton tonight in a dominant mood and Lockwood were rarely troubled, but did seem to exude a nervous air throughout.

Canvey did manage the occasional flowing, passing move out of defence, but in a number of instances failed to hit the target. A swift break down the left on 32 minutes was such an example: the ball was skilfully pulled back to the penalty spot but Boylans shot was well over Weales cross-bar.

Tom White in the line up was familiar, but his positioning was new. Playing in front of the back three he combined with OBrien to produce a stronger midfield that was a formidable obstacle for the Canvey attack.

Strikes on goal were becoming scarce as the Yeovil defence settled, and the Yeovil attack worked, somewhat unsuccessfully down the flanks.

One bright moment was Lockwoods header in a crowded box. The ball appeared destined for the back of the net until Harrison pulled off a fine right-handed saved and the ball was eventually cleared.

Harrison was now entertaining the crowd with his erratic kicking: rarely did he seem comfortable, and many kicks left his defence, once more, under pressure.

At the other end Weale was in action as Mark Stimson struck the shot of the evening. Fortunately for Yeovil Weale was on form and his finger tip save pushed the ball onto the top of his cross-bar.

Half Time: Yeovil 1 Canvey 0.

Carl Alford replaced Kim Grant at the start of the second half, Grant had seldom looked his former self having just returned from injury. With Alfords additional presence Yeovil enjoyed their best spell of the game and Stansfield made many breaks. Although Stansfield was unable to extend Yeovils lead, the Canvey defence were left to resort to illegal tactics, physically pulling him back. A number of Canvey defenders ending up in Mr. Woolmers book. Canvey, at this time, appeared defeated as if they had run out of ideas, or hope, and failed to create any significant chances.

Yeovil eventually retreated and allowed Canvey to push forward. Yeovil on the counter were ably assisted by Harrisons kicking, which seemed to be getting worse. Such a farce appeared to have left Stansfield with a golden opportunity. Just wide of the Canvey goal from three yards out, Harrison managed to recover and block Stansfields strike.

Time and again Stansfield broke behind the Canvey defence, often set through by Alfords accurate passes, but again it was not to be his night.

Crittenden and MacIndoe became more effective down their respective wings, even if the final ball was lacking.

The Yeovil crowd knew one goal was never going to be enough and were relieved when Stansfield won a penalty on 78 minutes. Behind the defence in the right hand channel he was brought down just inside the box. One could argue if it had been more central it might have warranted a red card for Peter Smith, as it was a yellow was sufficient. With neither Way, Grant, or Giles on the pitch it was left to Nick Crittenden to calmly convert the spot kick. Harrison dived to his right as Critts sent the ball to the other side. Yeovil 2 Canvey 0.

As soon as Steve Thompson had replaced Lee Johnson Canvey pulled a goal back. A long run in from the left was played behind the Yeovil defence were substitute Paul Cobb collected and then knocked a simple ball past Chris Weale. Yeovil 2 Canvey 1.

From thereon it should have been all out attack by Canvey, but it was more likely that Yeovil would extend their lead. First Stansfield shot inches wide; Harrison then missed a back pass and was forced to then pick it up, Yeovil failed to strike the resulting six yard indirect free kick; Harrison eventually atoned for his blunders as, from the last move of the game, he saved well from Alfords shot.

Full Time: Yeovil 2 Canvey 1.

A comfortable performance from Yeovil: if not attractive. Relying on the pace of Stansfield paid dividends. But, having created a goal scoring position, often, the Yeovil strike force looked lost something for the training ground. Skiverton was dominant at the heart of the back three, White and OBrien in midfield added a new variation for Gary Johnson we certainly have a squad that is flexible.

Canvey added to the spectacle but, on this performance, were kidding themselves if they felt they could compete with Yeovil in their current form. Yeovil should have had a hatful of goals, and apart from the unlikely had much in reserve.