Nationwide Conference :
Yeovil Town 1 – 1 Telford United

Att: 2,454

Line up : (3-4-1-2)

Chris Weale

Adam Lockwood

Colin Pluck

Anthony Tonkin

Nick Crittenden

Joe Broad
Steve Thompson

Michael McIndoe
Andy Turner

Carl Alford

Adam Stansfield

Subs used: Kim Grant, (71, for Turner), Chris Giles (71, for Alford), Darren Way (71, for Broad).

Edwards , Wooliscroft , Hanmer , Moore , Bentley , Albrighton , Fitzpatrick , Jobling , Smith , Martindale , Palmer
No subs used.

This report courtesy of Fe7:

Telford United came into todays match at Huish Park on the back of five straight wins, so Yeovil were in for a difficult game. However, Telford failed to display a winning performance and Yeovil failed to capitalise on a number of half chances to take the three points. Despite a Captain’s performance by man-of-the-match Michael MacIndoe goal-scorer, defender, and goal-maker, his troops failed to provide adequate support and Telford fought back from a 0-1 half time deficit to share the points.

The Huish Park pitch was passed fit to play at 1:00 pm following a heavy over-night frost, it would be a test for the Yeovil team to play on firm ground for a change. Gary Johnson kept faith with the side that started a week earlier against Doncaster, hoping that his wing-backs would cope better.

The game started quietly with Yeovil having the slightly better possession in the opening minutes, Stansfield’s darting runs behind the Telford defence being the most positive action.

Michael MacIndoe was first to create a clear opportunity on eleven minutes. As the Telford defence moved out, MacIndoe broke in behind them. Unfortunately, no Yeovil player was supporting and his teasing crossed ebbed across the Telford goal, and eventually away from danger.

Telford created the odd speculative chance, but it was Yeovil who raised the pressure and becoming the more dominant force.

That said, it was almost a surprise when Yeovil took the lead on 27 minutes. Adam Lockwood appeared under pressure at right back, but played a positive curling ball down the wing. The ball eventually found Carl Alford who played a clever low ball into the Telford penalty box. Michael MacIndoe broke from behind the pass to lift the ball delicately over the Telford keeper, Paul Edwards. Although Edwards got a touch on the ball and it looped into the air, MacIndoes strike was always goal-bound and the Huish Park crowd erupted as the ball nestled in the back of the Telford goal.

Yeovil 1 Telford 0.

Yeovil continued to dominate and enjoyed their best opportunity as half time approached: Adam Stansfield won a corner from Adam Lockwood’s ball over the top; from the resulting cross Telford defenders desperately blocked a number of Yeovil strikes; finally Steve Thompson’s powerful strike from the edge of the penalty box was also cleared.

Half Time: Yeovil 1 Telford 0.

Telford began the second half in a more confident mood and dominated the opening minutes. Yeovil had to thank keeper Chris Weale for keeping their lead, Weale’s instinctive right-handed save on his six yard box kept Telford out while many in the Yeovil defence claimed an earlier Telford hand-ball.

On 53 minutes the game turned against Yeovil: Adam Stansfield beat Paul Edwards to a long clearance, but the Telford keeper had done well to force Stansfield wide. Stansfield steadied himself to strike for goal, Edwards did well to get back into position and managed to parry Stansfield’s shot out to his right. Turner bore down on the parry and should have done better from eight yards, unfortunately his rightfooted shot was too close to Edwards body and the Telford keeper did well to push the ball away for a corner.

Telford were never out of the game and had looked dangerous throughout the second half. It was no surprise when they equalised on 65 minutes. Perhaps fortunate to win a free kick just inside the Yeovil half: Crittenden’s tug was innocuous, the Telford player had played the ball away, but the referee had decided to call play back. The Telford free kick was thrown into the Yeovil box and with three defenders and keeper surrounding him Gary Martindale rose above Colin Pluck to head past Weales right hand for the equaliser. Whether Crittenden’s tug had been innocuous or not, one got the impression from Colin Pluck’s remonstrations that the burden of the Telford striker on his back was not. Unfortunately for Pluck and the Yeovil supporters Mr Crossley, the referee, did not agree with him.

Yeovil 1 Telford 1.

Within minutes Gary Johnson introduced Darren Way, Kim Grant and Chris Giles for Joe Broad, Andy Turner and Carl Alford. In contrast to last week’s substitutions this did not force a change in the Yeovil formation. Considering the impact of bringing Tom White into the back four last week, Gary Johnson may reflect whether he might have repeated that change this week.

Darren Way was soon in the thick of the action but his twenty-yard shot flew over the Telford bar. The number of high shots compared to shots along the ground must now be an issue for Gary Johnson and the training ground.

The game settled into a familiar pattern with Yeovil toiling to work the ball forward only to lose control in the last third of the pitch and for the visiting team to pump the ball back down towards Chris Weale’s goal.

When sweeping forward it was usually MacIndoe cutting in from the left or midfield and setting Crittenden away. But, Crittenden is not the Star Man he was last season and despite positive movement, cutting in on his left is not as creative as cutting in on his right. The best he achieved today was to win numerous corners.

Steve Thompson forced Edwards to make an excellent save as the game ticked away. MacIndoe, again, flashed a cross across the face of Edwards’s goal. Despite two extra minutes one got the impression we had seen the best of the goal-mouth action for the day. That proved to be the case.

Final Score: Yeovil 1 Telford 1.

Yeovil’s performance was more passionate to that of last week. Yeovil’s defence were again composed but again conceded what appeared to be a defendable goal when Telford turned up the heat. Too many midfielder’s under-performed, the heavy conditions must be a factor. Adam Stansfield chased all afternoon, but asked to do too much by fellow striker Alford and the Yeovil midfield. When MacIndoe created the chances and looked for either striker, they were missing from the danger area.