Somerset Premier Cup R2
Yeovil Town 0 Street 1

Att : 225

Scorers: John Hayter (20, 0-1)

Officials: Referee: Mr. P. Brown; Assistants: Mr. G. Hicks, Mr. K. Thompson

Bookings :
Yeovil :
Street :

Starting Line-Up : 1. Steve Collis, 2. Matt Peters, 3. Ross Newell, 4. Gary Haveron, 5. Michael Cooper, 6. Lee Johnson, 7. Glenn Poole, 8. Steve Thompson, 9. Chris Giles, 10. Richard Parkinson, 11. Chris Luke.
Subs: 12. Richard Lindegaard, 14. Paul Henbest (for Luke), 15. Ian Linney, 16. James Thompson (62, for Haveron), 17. Dean Ritchie (62, for Parkinson)

With many full timers in the Yeovil team, Street, understandably, began this game cautiously. Yeovil dominated the opening session of tonight’s game: Collis got his first touch of the ball after five minutes; Lee Johnson and Glen Poole were impressive for Yeovil in the opening minutes. But, clear opportunities were scarce, if not non-existent. With all Yeovil’s outfield players camped in the Street half for the first fifteen minutes it was then against the run of play when Street won a free kick inside the Yeovil half. The floated ball beat the Yeovil defence, Collis had come off his line but was stranded in no-man’s land, and Jon Hayter‘s flick-header drifted softly into the waiting net.

Although one or two Yeovil players impressed, Steve Thompson in particular, clear cut strikes on the Street goal were few and far between. Giles’s shot was well saved by Street’s keeper James Smith and the free kick from Newell’s jinking run came to nought.

Street, with boosted confidence created chances of their own, Newell, in his left back position struggled against his more physical counterpart. Collis was called upon to save Yeovil, most notably from Jon Hayter after Gareth Morgan had pulled a good ball back from the bye line.

Towards the end of the first half Yeovil enjoyed their best spell of domination: Steve Thompson and Glen Poole’s inter-play, Lee Johnson’s shot, and Chris Luke’s cross should have ensured Giles equalised. Unfortunately for Yeovil, Giles’s shot at the far post was excellently saved by Smith.

Half Time : Yeovil Town 0 Street 1

For the second half Yeovil changed their formation to a 3-5-2 by pushing Newell forward, this provided more bodies to counter Street’s greater physical midfield presence, and restricted further left wing raids against the vulnerable Newell.

Yeovil started the second half the stronger, but again, crosses by Luke, runs by Thompson, and consecutive corners failed to threaten Smith’s goal. Eventually on 60 minutes Smith was called into action to parry away Giles’s header.

The game now degenerated as Street realised victory was a possibility. Long after the Yeovil crowd had exhausted its patience the referee reprimanded Street players for throwing balls away at free kicks; we endured the spectacle of the stretcher being called on for a wrist injury; and two footed challenges were rightly yellow carded.

James Thompson and Dean Richie replaced Gary Haveron and the injured Richard Parkinson on 62 minutes: Parkinson was later ambulanced to hospital with ankle damage. Paul Henbest later replaced Chris Luke.

Yeovil were by now void of ideas and unable to create a clear opportunity: their passing begin to go astray, and as with earlier games the midfield and defence asked far too much when trying to play in their strikers. The more physical Street defence were all too content to clear the ball into the empty Bartlett Stand. And, if any further goals were come, it was more likely to be Street who would extend their lead: Steve Collis was called upon to make at least two excellent saves.

Final Score : Yeovil Town 0 Street 1

Noddy Elms