Att: 2,316

Line up : (3-5-2)

Jon Sheffield

Terry Skiverton

Tom White

Anthony Tonkin

Nick Crittenden

Darren Way

Lee Johnson

Michael McIndoe

Andy Turner

Carl Alford

Scott Ramsay

Subs used: Barrington Belgrave (78, for Way), Roy O’Brien (78, for Johnson) Chris Giles (86, for Turner)

1. Steve Farrelly 2. Michael Warner 3. Darren Annon 4. Tim O’Shea 5. Mark Harper 6. Barry Laker 7. Steve Watson 8. Lenny Piper 9. Jof Vansittart 10. Christian Lee 11. Chris Piper
Sub used: Steve Darlington (69, for Lee)

Scorers: Lenny Piper (61, 0-1)

This report courtesy of Fe7:

The terrible terrorist actions in America overshadowed the build up to this game. It could be argued that it is difficult to take a game seriously. However, as surely as time ticks on, so normal life must go on.

Back to the game.

Yeovils poor run had continued at Boston, much talk had suggested that new faces may be brought in. However, the line up had a familiar look to it. Belgrave replaced Turner on Saturday: that was now reversed. Lindegaard started on the bench replacing an injured Steve Thompson. Surprisingly, after such a poor run, these were the only changes made.

Yeovil started the quickest. An early free kick by McIndoe went close, a dummy by Ramsay which almost let Alford in for a strike, another shot by McIndoe: all moves worried the Farnborough defence but failed to produce a clear opportunity.

The referee was again quick to act, Farnborough’s Watson ending up in the referees book for a foul on Johnson.

Yeovil continued to have the best of the early play: two quick, successive corners followed, but no significant strikes.

Farnborough managed a strike: but the ball flew comfortably across the Yeovil goal and away for a goal kick.

The match settled down to a fairly even contest: Yeovil putting together occasional moves through midfield, but consistently failing to trouble Farrelly in the Farnborough goal; Farnborough, on their own part, were restricted to counter attack, and won a numerous free kicks around the Yeovil box. Sheffield contributed no more than safely collecting through balls or crosses. In fact, almost to alleviate the monotony, the crowd began to cheer each time Sheffield took a cross or corner, as if to counter any critics.

Farnborough came close on 21 minutes when Sheffield, under pressure, managed to punch a left wing corner no further than the six-yard box. Fortunately the ensuing Farnborough header flew well over the bar.

Yeovil were the slightly more adventurous, however, in general, Yeovil consistently failed to execute a telling final ball. All too often balls from the back were too ambitious, immediately the midfield were under pressure, and often conceded possession. Farnboroughs defence had little difficulty in clearing the long balls when they were pumped forward from the back.

Farnborough created their own scares with a defensive back pass that beat Farrelly, but the Farnborough keeper managed to react quickest and recover the situation before a Yeovil striker could benefit from the lapse.

The game deteriorated into a rather stilted period, with many dead ball situations, the referee seemingly intent on passing the game in ten second segments.

On 41 minutes Yeovil produced the best move of the night: Alford just failing to get on the end of an excellent left wing move and cross. Just a few minutes later Alford was again challenging in the penalty box following an excellent run and cross by Crittenden from the right.

The first half concluded with a scramble in the Yeovil box, but the Farnborough attack failed, again, to capitalise.

Half Time: Yeovil 0 Farnborough 0

The second half began with the referee being the first into action, booking Turner for what appeared to the Yeovil crowd a valid challenge, but leaving the Farnborough midfielder on the ground.

On 49 minutes Yeovil should have taken the lead, excellent work on the right by Ramsay allowed Way to whip in an excellent cross to Alford who volleyed over the Farnborough bar from six yards. Minutes later Alford, latching onto a lay back from Ramsay, came close with a shot that flew just inches over the Farnborough right angle.

Farnborough’s attack at this time was restricted to long clearances from the back and rarely troubled Sheffield. The game had now been allowed to become more open and flowing, and, Yeovil, in particular played a better passing game.

Yeovil needed to be well organised on 59 minutes when a Tonkin back pass was collected by Sheffield, resulting in a free kick in the six yard box. The ten-man Yeovil wall, stationed on their on their own goal line, successfully blocked the ensuing free kick and subsequent shot.

On 61 minutes the inevitable happened. As Alford was challenged in the Farnborough half he was left flat out on the pitch. Farnborough broke quickly and Sheffield produced an excellent left-handed save. However, the Farnborough attack were quicker to react to the loose ball and Piper turned the ball goal-ward. The Yeovil defence were unable to prevent the ball trickling over the goal line for Farnborough’s first goal.

Yeovil were spurred into action and began playing with far more urgency. Immediately Turner broke down the left and produced a curling cross. Alford met the ball well, but his powerful header smacked the front of the Farnborough cross bar and was cleared away. Yeovil continued to press and, on 72 minutes, Ramsay found himself twenty-five yards out with no apparent way forward or obvious support. After, what appeared an age, he decided to have a go himself. His right foot shot was on target and well placed, but Farrelly was equal to it and, diving to his left, produced a fine save to push the shot away for a corner.

With fifteen minutes to go Farnborough appeared to have weathered the storm and now began to look dangerous as they again countered. The Farnborough defence, once more, had little difficulty in breaking down Yeovil’s long balls up to Alford or Ramsay. The forwards in question found it difficult to control such balls, before being challenged. Farnborough continued to clear the ball well downfield so Yeovil had, once again, to restart another attack. The clock ticked quickly by.

Belgrave and OBrien replaced Way and Johnson, Yeovil now playing a 3-4-3. Giles replaced Turner. Both changes produced little.

Farnborough’s Laker was booked for time wasting, and, following a clash in front of the Bartlett stand, MacIndoe appeared to direct an innocuous kick at his opposite number and was shown the red card by the referee. The game concluded.

Full Time: Yeovil 0 Farnborough 0.

It was more of the same at Huish tonight: same team, same result. I do not believe the performances of specific individuals are responsible, but rather they way the team play makes it difficult to achieve what they must achieve. There were enough chances created to win the game, two fell to Alford at the start of the second half. A shot by Ramsay produced a fine save from Farrelly. But that is not enough. In general, Yeovil’s final ball into the box was woeful. The majority of corners and free kicks failed to trouble Farrelly and his defence. Passes, in general, where it mattered, to Yeovil strikers in the box, were poor, and gave them little chance.