The Glovers have cruised into the 3rd Qualifying Round of the FA Cup with a 7 (Seven) -1 win over AFC Stoneham.

Goals from Jordan Young, Jake Wannell, Frank Nouble, Jordan Maguire-Drew and a Rhys Murphy hattrick saw Yeovil run out dominant winners, although Duarte Robins had his FA Cup moment with a consolation for AFC Stoneham

Here’s how it went down at Huish Park… tin foil covered FA Cup cardboard cut outs at the ready…

First half

The first thing to note was that Josh Staunton’s coin tossing ability hasn’t got any better, once everyone had flipped around, it didn’t deter the Glovers from getting a bright start.

Charlie Cooper struck an early attempt which forced a corner, the resulting set piece was well worked to Jordan Young, his cross forced a very good save from the Stoneham keeper with Jake Wannell’s header destined for the back of the net.

A blistering first three minutes set the tone for what was to come, another attack from Michael Smith ended up with his shot forcing a comfortable save from Callum Lee – nearly a very good start to a Glovers’ debut.

Charlie Cooper kept the pressure on, his effort fell to Frank Nouble, but the assistant’s flag prevented any further damage. 

The first chance for the Visitors came after just 12 minutes, Jake Wannell and Charlie Cooper both coming unstuck and the Purps had a free kick which was diverted just wide by Duarte Martins.

Up the other end, two corners in quick succession came and went, inviting opportunities not quite taken advantage of.

The game was becoming a little bit more even, another chance fell the way of Stoneham’s Mat Bainbridge, he and Ryan Cluett unable to create anything clear cut.

Michael Smith was really settling in well, he and Frank Nouble combined well, but Jordan Stevens’ was unable to gamble on the cross across the six yard box.

Charlie Cooper was quick to force another save from the visitor’s ‘keeper, as the clock ticked past 20 minutes, chances were coming, but the score remained 0-0.

Callum Lee was busy again soon after, Jordan Stevens and Josh Owers combined well to secure a fifth shot on target inside the first quarter of the game.

A sixth wasn’t far away and Rght Back turned centre forward Michael Smith produced a finger tip save from Lee in the Stoneham goal.

Shortly before half an hour, it was copy and past – Charlie Cooper shot with venom, Callum Lee tipped over… another chance, another corner.

As the clock struck the 30th minute, Jordan YOUNG stood over a free kick… and as sure as night follows day, the ball ended up in the back of the net. 1-0. It had been coming.

Jordan Young Celebrates His Goal v Stoneham
? Debs Curtis

The Glovers kept it simple for the next few moments, keeping possession and not letting their visitors get any kind of footing in the fixture.

As the half drew to a close, the hosts began to crank things up again. The two Jordans were swapping flanks with relative ease, the possession stats in-play rarely dropping below 70%.

In a rare flurry forwards, Jordan Stevens was found wanting against their full back, a shot was blocked by Michael Smith, but the corner came to nothing. Well, I say, nothing, it came to a break away attack from Jordan Stevens, blistering pace from the former Leeds United man forced a Glovers corner. 

From the corner, Jordan Young turned assist king with Jake WANNELL powering a header towards goal. 2-0

Jake Wannell heads home Yeovil’s second goal.
Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

It was nearly three shortly after, Stevens was again able to burst away from a challenge and Nouble was too strong for the Stoneham defence but he was unable to finish it off.

Nouble got another chance but Callum Lee (who was having a blinder), forced a corner… Owers skewing his shot just wide from the set piece… it’s all happening too quick to type along with!

Half time: Yeovil Town 2 AFC Stoneham 0

Second half

No changes by either side at the break, the Glovers looking to keep their visitors at arms length… in truth, they did even better than that.

Matt Worthington laid the ball to Michael Smith who gave Frank NOUBLE a chance the big front man couldn’t say no to. 3-0, within two minutes of the game restarting.

Alex Whittle was given a breather with just a few moments gone, Jordan Maguire Drew coming on, pushing Josh Owers to left-back.

Jake Wannell was sloppy at the back for a split second, but Joe Day mopped up… and managed to get the ball down the other end in a split second to force a Glovers free kick.

That free kick… via a huge deflection went in to the net from the boot of Jordan MAGUIRE-DREW. 4-0

Mark Cooper took solace with their opponents and took off Frank Nouble…unfortunately for them though, he also brought on Rhys Murphy. Sorry lads.

Duarte Martins, with 12 goals in nine games already this season, wasn’t throwing in the towel any time soon, he did flash a shot wide of Joe Day’s goal, with 55 minutes on the clock.

With an hour on the clock, the fitness of the Purps was already starting to tell, Jordan Stevens latched onto a through ball, and set the chance up for Rhys MURPHY to slot home and add a fifth. 5-0

Stoneham, to their credit, were not going to stop, they did force a corner and a dangerous one at that, a bit of penalty area pinball just not falling to a Purple shirt.

It was a game that struggled to really get going through the gears, Matt Worthington and Rhys Murphy couldn’t quite force another chance, whilst Duarte Martins was still hustling up front.

The Purps made a couple of changes to make sure as many players as possible got their chance.

Rhys Murphy.
Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

But a defensive mix up allowed Rhys MURPHY to jink around the goalkeeper and tap in, that was his second, Yeovil’s sixth… there was still 20 minutes to go. 6-0

Murphy probably could (should) have bagged a hat trick, he had time and space in the box with 68 minutes on the clock, but he couldn’t get the ball out to force the shot.

Jordan Stevens was taken off after 70 minutes, his contribution was emphatic and his recovery from injury is really coming to an end.

Jake Hyde coming on… Mark Cooper is rutheless.

Hyde had two bites at a very early cherry, he and Murphy were giving the keeper a hard time, nothing more than a corner this time.

Charlie Cooper flashed a shot over, before some action at the other end.

72 minutes on the clock, Duarte MARTINS who has been the Purps’ best player, skipped round Joe Day in the Glovers goal and got one back, fair play – nice finish. 6-1

The Purps skipper, Alex Welch, was in the book for a foul with 15 minutes left, Rhys Murphy pulled rank (someone wants the match ball!), but the free kick cannoned into the defensive wall. 

The Stoneham goal, had given both sides a little wake up call, Alex Welch and Charlie Cooper both came off worse for wear after a crunching tackle on the edge of the Glovers’ penalty area.

Matt Worthington fired a shot in from distance, Callum Lee was equal to it, the final 10 minutes was a tired display of football, the Rhys Murphy hat trick proved elusive, despite his best efforts, forcing a corner with 81 minutes already in the bank.

Lee, who was still impressing, plucked another long range effort from JM-D out of the air and tried to get the attack moving quickly, Michael Smith had to do a little bit of hasty defending clearing from a corner.

More shots, (Worthington, Murphy, JMD) more corners, more chances game the Glovers way, 

But the game felt like it was starting to slow down, Charlie Cooper was playing games with the away fans by placing a corner outside the quadrant with a wink and a nod.

There was time for Rhys Murphy to trigger the assistant’s flag once more before five minutes were added on, Charlie Cooper continued on his quest to everything but score, latching on to a JMD cross only to head over. 

Then, finally… the Hat Trick story of the second half was complete as Rhys MURPHY completed the rout, and took his match ball home as the full time whistle soon went.

The Glovers have won their ‘no-win’ tie in emphatic style, 19 shots on target, plenty of possession, job done.

We at the Gloverscast have enjoyed learning about AFC Stoneham, and wish them nothing but the best for the rest of their season, a club with 100+ teams, 1500+ players and 300+ coaches, they’re doing good things in their local area.

Full time: Yeovil Town 7 AFC Stoneham 1

Yeovil Town have picked up £3375 from the prize fund for the win.

The Third Qualifying Round matches will take place on the weekend of Saturday 30th September.

Match Details

Venue: Huish Park
Saturday 16th September – 3pm kick-off

Pitch: Looking good, less slippery than last week
Conditions: Overcast, a bit drizzly

Attendance: 2021 (208 from Stoneham)

Scorers: Jordan Young (1-0), Jake Wannell (2-0), Frank Nouble (3-0), Jordan Maguire-Drew (4-0), Rhys Murphy (5-0), Rhys Murphy (6-0), Duarte Martins (6-1), Rhys Murphy (HT) (7-1)

Yeovil Town:
Jake Wannell
AFC Stoneham: Barnes 51, Welch 75

Referee: Ollie Taylor

Yeovil Town (4-3-3)

Substitutes: Maguire-Drew (for Alex Whittle ’49), Murphy (for Nouble ’54)

AFC Stoneham: Callum Lee, Ryan Cluett, Tommy Barnes, Mat Bainbridge, Yumo Wan, Ben Clarke, Jim Orvis, Alex Welch (C), Duarte Martins, Owen Fee, Liam Callaghan

Substitutes (not used): Pattison, Godwin, Jenkins (for Bainbridge), Batt, Hills, Sampson (for Fee ’62), Nagle

Huge thank you to Debs Curtis for the ? and ? 

Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Steve Davey
7 months ago

Excellent boys.well done.

7 months ago

Only at Huish Park can you be 7-1 and still have people moaning ?

Peter Sargent
7 months ago

Really glad to see Michael Smith fitting in well. Excellent player for Hearts. Good Luck Yeovil and Michael.