The coronation of Yeovil Town as National League South champions was completed with a comfort win over a Dartford side who were relegated out of the division after a 3-1 defeat at Huish Park.

It was the visitors who stunned a packed home crowd by going ahead after just five minutes when Luke Coulson headed home, but Sam Pearson got the Glovers back on level terms soon after turning home after good work from Fisher.

A Dylan Morgan effort took a wicked deflection from Ronny Nelson three minutes from half-time which put Yeovil in front and, despite Frank Nouble having a penalty saved in the second half, the game was wrapped up when Alex Fisher tapped home the third with 70 minutes gone.

But all of the home fans in the 5,701 crowd were only there for one thing – to see their heroes lift the championship trophy at the full-time whistle.

First half

But, if the script was supposed to be a title-winning parade for the Glovers, Dartford had not read it and took the lead after just five minutes. A good move down the right by Olly Box and got the ball in to captain Luke COULSON who got in between Morgan Williams and Jake Wannell to put a superb header past Joe Day.

Luckily, it did not take long to spark a response from the home side as Sam Pearson levelled the scoring three minutes after going behind. Great play by Alex Fisher found Brooklyn Genesini whose cross was flicked on by Fisher, but PEARSON bravely dived in to get on the end of it and felt the force of the post on his shoulder. Let’s start again, then.

As their early goal suggests, Dartford, who could be relegated if they lose and Eastbourne Borough win, set off determined to go for it this afternoon, but their front foot approach is leaving space with Genesini almost unmarked on the right side.

Another good bit of build-up play involving Frank Nouble saw the ball come to Pearson who instinctively hit it first time and found Dartford keeper Rhys Byrne equal to it and parry it away.

Dylan Morgan showed quick feet to get his shot away on 24 minutes but Byrne was level to it again as “stand up if you’ve won the league” rings around Huish Park.

Byrne was back in action after 34 minutes after great play by Morgan down the left got a ball in to Fisher whose header was clawed away by the keeper and almost immediately after Morgan was at it again cutting in to the box again and this time finding Genesini, only for the keeper to push it away with his foot. You feel a goal is coming.

Then, with three minutes remaining until half-time, it arrived. Nouble found Morgan who unleashed a great shot and the ball took a deflection off Ronny Nelson and crept in to the net. It was an OWN GOAL but no doubt that Yeovil had deserved it for their domination.

Having gone behind early, it has been all the champions since Pearson’s equaliser. Manager Mark Cooper told his players on Thursday night that he still wanted to win this game and you can tell that has got through to his players.

Half time: Yeovil Town 2 Dartford 1


Second half

The opening ten minutes at Huish Park was without much incident until Sonny Blu Lo-Everton had an effort XX minute tipped over the bar by Byrne. From the resulting corner the ball was worked out to Charlie Cooper whose effort was going towards the keeper, Morgan Williams challenged with Byrne and went down. Referee Harry Wager gave the penalty, which looked very soft. Frank Nouble stepped up and Byrne redeemed himself with a save. Justice done there, I think.


Lo-Everton ran in to acres of space and had a dipping shot which looked like it was destined for the top corner, but just crept past the box on 63 minutes. Seven minutes later it was 3-1 to the home side.

Cooper’s shot came off Dartford substitute Maxwell Statham and landed at the feet of Alex FISHER who touched it around Byrne and tapped home. He took a glance looking for the offside flag, but (unlike seven days earlier) it was not there. For it to happen almost in the spot where the striker suffered that horrific leg break just over a year ago feels like the script that was written. That’s five goals in 12 games for him, what a time to find his goal-scoring touch.

Jordan Young had an effort just past the post before Charlie Cooper pulled one wide soon after as the game moved in to the closing stages.

Three minutes from the end of normal time, there was a huge ovation for Fisher as he went off the pitch to be replaced by captain Matt Worthington, making his 227th appearance for the club. What a moment for both players.

The final whistle saw the Huish Park flooded by home supporters because, let’s face it, it means everything to them.

“Please do not enter the pi….” Picture courtesy of Debs Curtis.

Full time: Yeovil Town 3 Dartford 1

Match Details

Venue: Huish Park
Date: Saturday 13th April, 3pm

Competition: National League South

Pitch: Good
Conditions: Good

Attendance: 5,701 (115 away supporters)

Scorers: Luke Coulson 5 (0-1), Sam Pearson 8 (1-1), Ronny Nelson o.g. 42 (2-1), Alex Fisher 70 (3-1).

Yeovil Town: None
Dartford: Olly Wall, Luke Byrne, Taylor Maloney, 

Referee: Harry Wager


Yeovil Town (4-4-2)

Substitutes: Jordan Young (for Sam Pearson, 71), Josh Owers (for Dylan Morgan, 79), Matt Worthington (for Alex Fisher, 87) Michael Smith (not used), Jake Hyde (not used).

Dartford: Rhys Byrne, Luke Allen (for Fumnaya Shomotun, 71) , Alex Wall, Joash Nembhard, Paul Rooney, Jack Smith, Jordan Wynter (for Maxwell Statham, 46), Olly Box, Ronny Nelson, Harrison Sodje (for Taylor Maloney, 71), Luke Coulson.
Substitutes (not used): Jordan Greenidge, Tom Wray.

Notify of

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
1 month ago

That’s not an own goal, it’s a slight deflection! Got to be Morgan’s goal.