Yeovil took their unbeaten run to nine in a row, in front of a National League South record crowd of 6289.

Jordan Young’s free kick found its way into the bottom corner of the net in the first half and Jake Hyde’s stoppage time goal clinched it as the Glovers retained their place at the top of the league against W*ymouth…

Here’s how it unfolded in the rain at Huish Park.

First half

Mark Cooper made one change to his starting lineup with Jordan Stevens replacing Will Dawes on the wing.

A shot from Matt Worthington was saved by Hugo Fisher in the W*ymouth goal after seven minutes.

And the Glovers took the lead shortly after as Jordan Young’s free kick was looped into a dangerous area and seemed to take a deflection on its way into the net. 1-0.

Yeovil were largely on top controlling possession and putting pressure on the W*ymouth defence. Neat interplay between Jordan Young and Stevens saw a couple efforts at goal in quick succession, with Stevens dragging his shot wide.

Yeovil were getting a lot of joy on the right hand side and Young played in Michael Smith who put a dangerous cross into the box that Stevens couldn’t connect with cleanly.

There was real pinball in the box half an hour in, with Frank Nouble having a shot charged down and W*ymouth scrambling to clear their lines.

Yeovil had more joy down the right hand side with Stevens putting a delicate cross into the box with Nouble going for glory with what would have been a spectacular volley.

Moments later, an excellent tackle from Cheshire prevented Rhys Murphy from getting a strike at goal.

The pressure continued on the right hand side and Michal Smith was next to have an effort blocked in front of the Seagull Botherer’s goal.

Josh Owers picked up yellow card for a cynical challenge on a W*ymouth player as they broke forward.

Half time: Yeovil Town 1 W*ymouth 0

Second half

W*ymouth had a half chance with an effort from Dan Robert’s that was easy for Joe Day.

Then the Glovers pressure began. Jordan Stevens had a hopeful effort that he skied high and wide.

Rhys Murphy had yet another penalty appeal turned down as he was checked in the box, one of these days he might get one.

The pressure continue with W*ymouth having to block shots on the edge of 18-yard-box which culminated in Jake Wannell heading wide.

W*ymouth had a great opportunity to draw level as Calvin Brooks rose above everyone from a corner, but headed over the bar.

The visitors had another decent effort from a free kick on the edge of the box that was drilled low into the hands of Day.

Frank Nouble very nearly doubled Yeovil’s lead in the 66th minute with a near post header that looked goalbound until a Weymouth intervention.

Mark Cooper made a double change in the 70th minute with Sonny Cox making his debut in place of Murphy and Jake Hyde replacing Nouble.

Somehow W*ymoth didn’t equalise moments later. They crafted a great chance in the box and Roberts slid in a la Gazza in 1996 and couldn’t poke it home.

Cox almost made an impact with his first touch, striking a left footed effort low that was saved well by Fisher in front of the Thatchers.

Moments later there was another gilt-edged chance for the visitors with Touray somehow missing.

As the Glovers were rocking a bit, the announcement was made that Yeovil has broken the National League South attendance record with 6289 inside Huish Park.

Will Dawes, who came on for Stevens, thought he’d grabbed a second goal with a lovely finish, however the referee penalised Hyde for a handball.

The game reached its conclusion, both sides tried to break each other down and Jake Hyde scored a stoppage time second to clinch a ninth win in a row. 2-0

Full time: Yeovil Town 2 W*ymouth 0

Match Details

Venue: Huish Park
Tuesday 24th October, 7.45pm kick-off

Pitch: Looked slippery and chopped up a bit
Conditions: Leathered it down

Attendance: 6289

Scorers: Young or an OG 8, Hyde 90+3

Yeovil Town:
W*ymouth: Durojaiye

Referee: Steven Hughes

Yeovil Town (4-4-2)


Substitutes: Jordan Stevens (for Rhys Murphy, 68), Zac Bell (for Will Dawes, 84), Jordan Maguire-Drew (for Michael Smith, 93)

Substitutes (not used): Maguire-Drew, Staunton

W*ymouth: Fisher, Howe, Hamblin, Cheshire, Durojaiye, Roberts, Rollinson, Touray, Bolton, Brooks, Rowan
Substitutes (not used): Matthews, Thompson, O’Connell, Goodship, Tomson


Notify of

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Jonathan Hooper
4 months ago

Zac Bell (for Will Dawes, 84)

Zac Bell wasn’t on the bench Dawes was. Dawes came on for Stevens 73rd minute