Venue: Huish Park
Saturday December 4th, 5.30pm kick-off

Conditions: Cold
Pitch: Slick

Attendance: 2,754 (326 away supporters)

Scorers: Charlie Wakefield 51 (1-0)

Referee: Craig Hicks

Yeovil Town: Staunton 30, Wilkinson 73
Stevenage: Reeves 11

Yeovil Town
: (4-3-3)

Grant Smith
Dan Moss, Max Hunt, Luke Wilkinson, Morgan Williams
Matt Worthington, Josh Staunton, Dale Gorman
Sonny Blu Lo-Everton, Adi Yussuf, Charlie Wakefield

Substitutes: Tom Knowles (for Yussuf, 66), Reuben Reid (for Lo-Everton, 80) Alex Bradley (for Wakefield, 91), Ollie Haste, Max Evans.

Stevenage: Smith, James-Wildin, Reeves, Prosser (for Norris, 56), List, Taylor, Osborne (for Barry, 72), Andrade, Vancooten, Reid (for Read, 72), Melbourne.

Substitutes: Anang, Coker, Norris, Lines, Daly, Smith, Marshall.

Match Report

A second half strike from Charlie Wakefield was enough to add another FA Cup giant-killing in to the Yeovil Town history books with a 1-0 win over League Two Stevenage.

But, the game owed much to heroic defensive performances from the Glovers with full-back Dan Moss putting in a man of the match performance.

Following an even first half, the 51st minute strike gave Yeovil an early advantage and minutes later a last-ditch tackle by Moss followed by a fantastic save from keeper Grant Smith kept was enough to see out the tie.

Here’s how another special night at Huish Park played out….


First half

Within 20 seconds of the start, Adi Yussuf and Dale Gorman linked up for the midfielder to fire a shot wide from the edge of the box.

Gorman was involved in the first clear-cut chance after seven minutes when his free-kick in to the box was met by Luke Wilkinson, who had a free header but could only direct it wide.

On 13 minutes, a foul by Dan Moss gave Stevenage their first opportunity with a free-kick on the edge of the box. Jake Reeves‘ effort was pushed out by Grant Smith who tipped the follow-up effort from Elliott Osborne over the bar with the linesman’s flag up.

Smith had to get down smartly to turn Osborne’s shot from the edge of the box aside three minutes later, and on 18 minutes former Torquay striker Jamie Reid found himself in space in the box, but his shot was deflected wide.

If the first ten minutes belonged to the home side, the visitors certainly turned up the pressure in the next ten with Bruno Andrade the next to test Smith.

The absence of Barnett and Knowles was clear to see in the opening half-an-hour with Yeovil’s attacking threats coming from set-pieces.

On 34 minutes, a free-kick from Smith broke to Josh Staunton on the edge of the area and he curled a shot just wide of Adam Smith’s right-hand post.

Sonny Blu Lo-Everton lifted an effort over the bar and Andrade smashed an effort wide having broken free down the left, but neither side could find the target before the break.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Stevenage 0

Second half

Tom Knowles was involved in a strenuous half-time warm-up but there were no changes from either side at the break.

Stevenage striker Elliott List had a great opportunity within two minutes of the restart as a free-kick was swept in, but he could only put his header over.

It was the visitors who enjoyed the brighter of the second half, but on 51 minutes it was Yeovil who took the lead.

The ball found its way to Yussuf who played in Lo-Everton, he fed in Charlie WAKEFIELD who took advantage of a slip by his marker and smashed a shot across Smith in to the corner of the net.

Just after the hour mark, Osborne beat the offside trap and fired a ball in only for an amazing last-ditch tackle from Moss to clear the danger, then seconds later the ball broke to former Torquay man Reid who was clear through on goal but an Smith spread himself and a trailing leg turned the ball wide.

Both defensive interventions were worth every bit as much as the goal for keeping the Glovers in the tie. Absolutely outstanding from both Moss and Smith.

Stevenage did not give up and continued to press forward with the right hand side a target, perhaps recognising centre-half Williams playing at left-back.

Reuben Reid made his first appearance since picking up a hamstring injury in pre-season replacing Lo-Everton with ten minutes remaining, and when Matt Worthington put a ball just across the box, the striker was lurking but unable to get a touch.

It was no surprise when Moss was handed the sponsors’ man of the match and the young Millwall loanee was in the thick of the action again as the game ticked in to injury time.

A  ball in from the right found Andrade at the back post but Moss was there to block the shot again – some player this lad, some player.

That was enough to see the game out and book a place in the thir round.

Full time: Yeovil Town 1 Stevenage 0


Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments