Venue: Huish Park
Saturday, September 18 2021, 3pm kick-off.

Conditions: Dry
Ground: Fine

Scorers: Oyeleke 19, Tshimanga 36,

Attendance: 2,356 (238 away)

Referee: Daniel Lamport

Yeovil: Williams, 45
Chesterfield: Payne 68, Tshimanga 78

Yeovil Town : (4-4-1-1)
Grant Smith
Dan Moss, Max Hunt, Luke Wilkinson, Jordan Barnett
Charlie Wakefield, Dale Gorman, Josh Staunton, Tom Knowles
Sonny Blu Lo-Everton
Joe Quigley

Subs: Morgan Williams (for Wilkinson, 28), Yussuf (for Lo-Everton, 46), Max Evans (not used), Alex Bradley (not used), Jack Robinson (not used).

Chesterfield: Loach, Miller (for Whittle, 66), Grimes, Gunning (for King, 46), Kerr, Carline, Weston, Oyeleke (for McCourt, 75), Mandeville, Payne, Tshimanga. Subs (not used): Khan, Minter.



Yeovil Town‘s decent start to the season hit a hefty speed bump this afternoon with a 2-0 defeat against Chesterfield at Huish Park.

An own goal from goalkeeper Grant Smith  – albeit one credited to midfielder Emmanuel Oyeleke – and a finish from Kabongo Tshimanga was enough for the superior Spirerites as the Glovers expelled a lot of energy but couldn’t break down their opponents.

A big concern for Yeovil will be the first half departure of defender Luke Wilkinson who was forced off with an injury.

Here’s how Ian Perkins saw it at Huish Park…..



Glovers’ boss Darren Sarll was able to name an unchanged starting XI for the fourth consecutive game with the only change coming on the substitutes’ bench where on-loan defender Jack Robinson replaced Toby Stephens.

Josh Staunton thought he’d given Yeovil the lead after 15 minutes when he scrambled a dropped ball into the back of the net. The referee adjudged that visiting goalkeeper Scott Loach was fouled.

Moments later, the Spireites took the lead through an own goal. After a decent stop from  Grant Smith, Emmanuel Oyeleke was teed up on the edge of the 18 yard box and his powerful drive rebounded off the post into a body and into the back of the net. The goal was credited to OYELEKE.

Yeovil suffered the early loss of skipper Luke Wilkinson, who limped off just before the half an hour mark.

The Glovers came close to striking back through Tom Knowles after Joe Quigley rounded Loach. Quigley was forced wide by the Chesterfield defence but he set up Knowles who glided past a couple of blue shirts before his effort was cleared off the line.

In the 36th minute, Kabongo TSHIMANGA doubled the Spireites lead. A routine hoof up the pitch was allowed to bounce, with neither Morgan Williams nor Max Hunt covering themselves in glory. The £100k man slotted past Grant Smith with composure.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 0 Chesterfield 2


Sarll made a change at half time, with Adi Yussuf replacing Sonny Blu Lo Everton in the hosts’ forward line.

It wasn’t until the 58th minute that there was a real effort of note. After a spell of pressure the Glovers moved the ball nicely and a rasping effort from Josh Staunton drew a good one handed save from Loach.

Max Hunt came close to pulling one back with a free header in the box after a Knowles cross, but the defender’s effort glanced high and wide.

Yeovil had another decent chance in the 71st minute after neat work by Charlie Wakefield on the right wing found Knowles in the box. Knowles’ execution wasn’t the greatest and his strike went well over the bar.

Knowles grew into the game as it progressed and came close again five minutes later with a speculative effort from distance which went wide of Loach’s left hand post.

As time wore on the game petered out with Chesterfield standing firm and Yeovil, without a Plan B, sapped of energy and ideas.

Full time: Yeovil Town 0 Chesterfield 2

Read our Five Conclusions – here
Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments