Venue: Huish Park
Saturday, 25th March, 3pm kick-off

Pitch: Sticky after some heavy rain overnight
Conditions:  On and off rain and a strong wind

Scorers: Besert Topalloj 5 (0-1),


Yeovil Town: Grant Smith 65
Bromley: Ryan Stirk 56, Arthurs 65

Referee: Richie Watkins

Yeovil Town (4-3-3)

Scott Pollock (for Callum Harriott, 46), Zanda Siziba (for Jordan Maguire-Drew, 54), Reo Griffiths (for Andrew Oluwabori, 54), Max Hunt (not used), Malachi Linton (not used).

Bromley: Charles-Cook, Reynolds, Sowunmi, Whitely, Dennis (for Krauhaus, 86), Cheek, Stirk, Arthurs, Topalloj (for Bingham, 46), Elerewe, Fisher (for Vennings, 66). Substitutes (not used): Kendall, Forster.

Match Report

A dreadful display from Yeovil Town saw them fall to a 1-0 home defeat against Bromley which pushed them within a point of the National League relegation places.

A fourth minute goal from Besert Topalloj was the difference on the scoresheet but the visitors spurned numerous other chances and Glovers’ goalkeeper Grant Smith pulled off a number of fine stops to prevent the scoreline being greater.

Perhaps more worrying was the complete lack of effort from many in green and white who were met by boos at the end of either half from second biggest crowd of the season at Huish Park.


First half

It was the worst possible start for Yeovil as they fell behind after just five minutes. Kellen Fisher got away down the right for Bromley, Andrew Oluwabori got to him but the wideman still got the ball in and a complete failure to clear by the Yeovil defence saw it break to Besert TOPALLOJ who slammed it past Grant Smith.

Besert Topalloj celebrates his fourth minute strike.

That was the first attack of the game but it set the tone for a start which saw the visitors completely on top. It was on 10 minutes that a terrible pass by Oluwabori saw the ball break to Michael Cheek who burst in to the box and was denied by a point blank save from Smith. From the resulting corner a header by visiting defender Deje Elerewe, on loan from Charlton Athletic, was turned over by Smith.

Every time Bromley are coming forward they look like they can score. The visitors looked every inch a side pushing at the top end of the table and whilst looking threatening on the attack, they also looked confident in snuffing out anything approaching forward play from Yeovil.

It took until the 24th minute for Yeovil to get their first effort on goal when a long ball forward found Oluwabori who did well to bring it down, cut inside and Harriott took the ball off his team-mate who hammered in a shot which took a deflection and was well turned aside by Reice Charles-Cook in the visitors’ goal.

That sparked a bit of possession for the home side but balls in from Chiori Johnson down the right and then Oluwabori from the left were about as near to a threat on goal as Yeovil got as the game ticked past the 30 minute mark.

On 32 minutes, a beautiful ball over the top found Louis Dennis who had time to take a touch on the edge of the area but lifted his effort over the bar. Bromley will be baffled as to how they are only 1-0 up.

The half-time whistle was met with boos from a bumper home crowd boosted by visitors coming as part of Non-League Day and the #PackThePark ticket offer. A very poor first half from Yeovil.

Half time: Yeovil Town 0 Bromley 1


Second half

The interval saw Harriott, who had not played a competitive minute since the start of January, replaced by Pollock. The winger appeared to be playing with a knock at the end of the first half.

Scott Pollock in action for Yeovil Town. Picture courtesy of Mike Kunz.

On 51 minutes, Yeovil got a huge let off as Bromley waltzed through the hosts’ defence and lifted a ball over the top to Cheek (don’t worry, he’s only one of the best strikers in the division, lads) who put his effort over from a tight angle.

By the 54th minute, manager Mark Cooper had clearly seen all he needed to see as Maguire-Drew and Oluwabori, neither of whom had affected the play in a positive fashion, were replaced by Reo Griffiths and Zanda Siziba. But with a spark desperately needed, Yeovil simply could not get the ball off their comfortable visitors.

From the crowd to the players to the dug out, energy was completely missing – literally no-one was up for this one. Except Bromley, of course, who seemed to be quite happy to let their hosts get frustrated. This could not be more different to the feeling in the previous home game, the 1-0 win over Eastleigh.



With 63 minutes gone, Billy Bingham’s challenge broke to Cheek who slid it in to Dennis, from the resulting scramble Smith was able to grasp it and took a kick in the process. The referee booked Arthurs for Bromley for the kick and Smith for his protests.

Dennis smashed a shot over a minute ago and it was the visitors who were asking all the questions and Corey Whiteley had another effort over the bar.

At the other end, there was a scramble in front of the away end after 68 minutes with Ryan Law and Fisher in close proximity but neither were able to prod the ball home.

Ugh. We simply don’t look like a team at the moment. Cooper was full of running, Johnson got forward well in the second half and (as ever) only captain Staunton seemed interested in driving forward whilst Smith did his part at the back. The rest? The body language spoke volumes, lots of arms waved in the air and very little else.

On 82 minutes, Griffiths won a free-kick just outside the penalty area, Cooper did superbly to pick out Fisher in the middle of the box but his header flashed wide. Four minutes later Dennis bent one round the post. How are they not more than a goal ahead?

From minute one to minute 90+5, Yeovil were second best and the final score flattered them thoroughly.

Full time: Yeovil Town 0 Bromley 1

Notify of

Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
1 year ago

Fisher was an absolute joke

Neil Watkins
1 year ago

Uggla’s ego machine not quite working ? when you put kids in charge what you expect