Venue: Bob Lucas Stadium
Tuesday, October 19 2021, 7.45pm kick-off.

Conditions: Very wet and pretty windy
Ground: “Okay” (Andrew Craig, October 2021)

Scorers: Worthington 20 (1-0), McQuoid 87 (1-1)

Attendance: 2,911

Referee: Sunny Gill

Yeovil: Barnett (13), Smith (120)
W*ymouth: Yarney (32), Ash (34), Bearwish (41)

Yeovil Town
: (4-3-3)
Grant Smith
Dan Moss, Max Hunt, Josh Staunton, Jack Robinson
Matt Worthington, Dale Gorman, Jordan Barnett
Sonny Blu Lo-Everton Joe Quigley Charlie Wakefield

Substitutes: Adi Yussuf (for Wakefield, 83), Tom Knowles (for Barnett, 96), Ben Seymour (for Lo-Everton, 100), Lewis Simper (for Worthington, 110) Jordan Dyer, Max Evans.

W*ymouth: Fitzsimons, Cordner, Mussa (for Murray, 46), Thomson (for Goodship, 83), Ash (for McQuoid, 55), Bearwish (for Robinson, 102), Brooks, Harfield, Yarney, Olomowewe, Shields.
Substitutes: Taylor-Crossdale, Morgan, Robinson, Bruton.

Match Report

Success in a contender for the worst penalty shoot-out in FA Cup history, was enough for Yeovil Town to make it through to the first round proper with victory at local rivals W*ymouth.

Having led through a first-half Matt Worthington goal, it seemed like the misery of the weekend’s injury time equaliser to force the replay was banished, until Terras’ skipper Josh McQuoid nodded home in the 87th minute.

You didn’t honestly think it was going to be that easy, did you?

Nope, after a further 30 minutes of extra time a foul on substitute Adi Yussuf saw us awarded a penalty, which top-scorer Joe Quigley (the scorer of three spot kicks this season) saw saved by keeper Ross Fitzsimons.

That meant it was spot kicks. Having seen McQuoid miss his first, Yussuf put the Glovers ahead in the shoot-out. Then, just to further test the tickers of the travelling supporters, Tyler Cordner missed the hosts’ second….only for a bottle thrown by the travelling fans to see it retaken – and Cordner scored.

That was as good as it got for W*ymouth as they failed to beat Smith with their remaining three spot kicks and Dale Gorman converted what turned out to be the winner.

That (yeah, just that!) was enough to put us through to the first round proper and a trip to either Yate Town or Dover Athletic – whose replay was abandoned due to floodlight failure.

Now where’s that Antonio Conte meme?

Having seen his side leak a 93rd minute equaliser to force the replay, Darren Sarll made two changes with loanees forward Sonny Blu Lo-Everton and defender Jack Robinson in for Ben Seymour and Tom Knowles, who both dropped to the bench.

That meant Jordan Barnett was pushed further forward with Charlie Wakefield and Lo-Everton playing as a front three alongside top-scorer Joe Quigley.

With the weather as miserable as dismal resort hosting it, chances were few and far between for either side in the opening 20 minutes.

For the visitors, Barnett fired one over and for the hosts Brad Ash had an effort easily held by Grant Smith were the only really efforts of note.

But, on the 20th minute a great bit of play Lo-Everton beat Calvin Brooks and set Charlie Wakefield free and his cross found its way to Quigley who smashed it off the crossbar.

The Terras failed to clear the danger and the ball was crossed in for Matt WORTHINGTON who headed home.

Like a young Paul Scholes“, according to Lawson D’Ath on commentary for BBC Somerset, must be the hair.

Barnett and Gorman had efforts on goal following the opener, but chances were few and far between again.

Max Cordner glanced a free header wide from Shaun Shields’ corner a minute before the break. To say Grant Smith was unhappy with his defence for allowing the free-kick would be an understatement.

But, it was Quigley who had the final chance of the first half. He latched on to Wakefield’s through ball but was denied by Ross Fitzsimons in the W*ymouth goal.

Half time: W*ymouth 0 Yeovil Town 1


The game restarted with both sides shooting towards their respective supporters and it was Ash who had the game’s first effort firing in to the arms of Smith.

A minute later Tom Bearwish, the self-proclaimed “Weymouth legend” for his injury time equaliser at Huish Park at the weekend, sailed a volley high over the bar from a corner.

Wakefield had a couple of opportunities with the best on the 57th minute when he his effort from the edge of the box was denied by a good stop from Fitzsimons.

On the hour mark, Lo-Everton took the ball rounded the keeper but was forced wide, found Quigley whose goal-bound effort was cleared away, and seven minutes later the top-scorer had another effort blocked after good play by Barnett.

The weather conditions only continued to get worse with the wind and rain driving in from the Channel, making conditions unpredictable for both sides.

On 78 minutes, striker Ben Thomson found himself throw on goal only to be denied by a sensational tackle from captain Josh Staunton.

But with just three minutes of normal time remaining a ball in from Ollie Harfield found W*ymouth skipper Josh McQUOID at the back post and he headed another late equaliser.

It was out of nothing to be fair, but there it is. Ugh.

Yeovil substitute Adi Yussuf had an opportunity soon after, but neither side could find a winner before the final whistle.

Full time: W*ymouth 1 Yeovil Town 1 – Extra time

The first half of extra time was a hard luck story for Yeovil. Six minutes in Yussuf was pulled down in the box with the visitors screaming for a penalty – well, Lawson D’Ath was certainly screaming for one on BBC Somerset.

Then with a minute of the first period remaining, Gorman’s corner was met by a flicked header from Quigley which the visitors insisted was over the line – but referee Sunny Gill (who disallowed a perfect good Reuben Reid goal in the league match down there last season) had no idea, so didn’t give it.

Half Time (in extra time): W*ymouth 1 Yeovil Town 1 

The start of the second period belonged to the home side with the pressure building as they attacked their own fans.

Goodship had a shot blocked two minutes after the restart and there was a bombardment of Grant Smith’s goals from a string of corners from the hosts.

A minute from the end Goodship burst through one-on-one with Smith who pulled off a huge save to deny the former Glover.

You’d think that was the final chance, wouldn’t you? But, no, a corner and Adi Yussuf’s shot was handled in the area and referee Gill awarded the spot kick in the final minute.

Up stepped Quigley and Fitzsimons guessed the right way to deny him and the game went to….well, penalties.

Full time (in extra time): W*ymouth 1 Yeovil Town 1 

Here’s how the shoot-out went:

W*ymouth: McQuoid – MISSED (0-0)
Yeovil: Yussuf – SCORED (1-0)
W*ymouth: Cordner – SCORED (1-1)
Yeovil: Seymour – MISSED (1-1)
W*ymouth: Shields – SAVED (1-1)
Yeovil: Gorman – SCORED (2-1)
W*ymouth: Robinson – MISSED (2-1)
Yeovil: Knowles – MISSED (2-1)
W*ymouth: Goodship – MISSED (2-1)

Yeovil Town win 2-1 after extra time and penalties

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments