Yeovil Town maintained a 10 point lead at the top of National League South with a 4-2 win at Tonbridge Angels.

First half goals from Jordan Young and Jake Wannell saw the Glovers go in 2-1 up at half time before Wannell and Worthington scored in the second to clinch a valuable three points.

Coatesie travelled to Kent and here’s how he saw the win…

(Thanks to Deb Curtis for the videos)

First half

The breakthrough came after 11 minutes and it was all about Dylan Morgan. A superb run showing great strength to shrug off a number of challenges before playing in Jordan YOUNG who emphatically finished.

Four minutes later, it was Sam Pearson’s turn to be creator, picking up a long throw from Joe Day. He tried to find Dylan Morgan but Angels keeper Jonathan Henly got there first.

Morgan was in the thick of it again soon after, this time almost finding Pearson inside the box but his effort went out for a corner. From the resulting flag kick Jake WANNELL rose highest and his header came off a Tonbridge defender to wrong foot Henly to make it 2-0 with 17 minutes gone.

But two minutes later the home side got one back. A mix-up in the Yeovil defence and Nathan ODOKONYERO lashed it in to the net. That led to a period of good pressure from Tonbridge with rain falling on the artificial surface which the hosts did better to control.

The best opportunity fell to Paris Lock who twisted and turned on the edge of the box but dragged his effort wide on the half-hour mark, and on 32 minutes Sean Shields hit a venomous shot which fizzed just past the post.

It was definitely advantage Tonbridge and there were a few more hairy moments inside the Yeovil penalty area whilst at the other end neither Pearson, Nouble or Morgan could make it stick up front.

With two minutes of normal time remaining, Scott Wagstaff put in a cross to the far post, Michael Smith was the coolest man on the pitch as his clearing header went over the bar. But it was a move that started from Pearson getting shrugged off the ball too easily, a point his manager let him know.

A strong opening 20 minutes, the final 25 minutes was definitely shakier from a Yeovil perspective.

Half time: Tonbridge Angels 1 Yeovil Town 2

Second half

At half-time, Jay Foulston replaced Alex Whittle who slotted in at left back where winger Paris Lock had been causing problems.

A quiet opening 10 minutes threatened to spring in to life on 56 minutes when Young was fouled on the edge of the box. But he lifted his effort over the bar.

If there was any doubt about whether the second goal belonged to WANNELL, there was no question about the third. A corner from the right was met by a thunderous header from the centre half after 65 minutes.

Immediately after the goal, Morgan was withdrawn and replaced by Stevens, making his first appearance after a lengthy period on the sidelines through injury.

Stevens was involved in a threatening move, released by Sonny Blu Lo-Everton and he pulled a ball across the face of goal.

There was a slightly worrying moment when Stevens went down after what looked a like a heavy landing on the solid, sodden surface.

With eight minutes remaining, Alex Fisher replaced Pearson, but it was Tonbridge who were pushing forward more.

Then with a minute to go the home side made it a nervy finish. A ball bouncing around inside the box and Kodi LYONS-FOSTER drilled one home to make it 3-2.

Five minutes of injury time added on and it was enough to put hearts firmly in mouths in the away end with even goalkeeper Jonathan Henly going up for a corner.

But the home side’s attacking intent ended up their undoing as Yeovil broke late with Matt WORTHINGTON and slotted under the oncoming keeper to settle it.

Full time: Tonbridge Angels 2 Yeovil Town 4

Match Details

Venue: Longmead Stadium
Date: Saturday 10th February – 3pm

Competition: National League South

Pitch: Plastic, but I’ve seen worse plastic
Conditions: Rained hard at the end of the first half

Attendance: 1386

Young, Wannell (x2), Worthington
Odonkonyero, Lyons-Foster

Yeovil Town:
Stevens 82, Smith 88.
Tonbridge Angels:

Referee:  Steven Hughes

Yeovil Town (4-2-3-1)

Substitutes: Will Dawes, Alex Fisher (for Pearson 81), Jordan Stevens (for Morgan 67), Josh Owers, Jay Foulston (for Whittle 46)

Tonbridge Angels: Henly, Fielding, Lyons-Foster, Higgs, Odonkonyero, Lock (for Gard), Dabre (for Greenidge), Meade, Wagstaff (Mampolo), Shields, Sutcliffe Substitutes (not used): Velvick, Vincent

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments