Venue: Victoria Road
Saturday 28th January, 3pm kick-off

Conditions: Cold but dry
Pitch: Holding up well despite the recent freezing conditions

Attendance: 2,739 (197 away supporters)

Scorers: Maguire-Drew pen 31 (1-0), Matt Worthington 80 (2-0)


Yeovil Town: Owen Bevan 37, Morgan Williams 60, Josh Staunton 73, Jamie Reckord 79
Dagenham & Redbridge: Josh Walker 85

Sendings off:

Dagenham & Redbridge: Harry Phipps 30

Referee: Alan Dale

Yeovil Town   (4-2-3-1)

Substitutes: Alex Fisher (for Jordan Young, 66), Lawson D’Ath (for Charlie Cooper, 75), Edwin Agbaje (for Jack Clarke, 75), Ben Richards-Everton (not used), Charlie Wakefield (not used).

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Hare (for Taylor, 64), Rance (for McCallum, 46), Walker, Sagaf, Weston, Robinson, Phipps, Ling (for Johnson, 12), Longe-King, Morias. Substitutes (not used): Onariase, Ibie.

Match Report

Yeovil Town picked up their first away win of the season at Dagenham & Redbridge.

A first half penalty from Jordan Maguire-Drew which saw Daggers’ defender Harry Phipps sent off gave them the advantage before Matt Worthington added a second with a stunning second half goal.

Here’s how Dave saw it from the away end….

First half

With the home side having had the better of the opening exchanges, the first opportunity fell to Jordan Maguire-Drew after nine minutes. A combination of Young and Matt Worthington got the ball to through to the play-maker but his shot could not beat Elliot Justham – or the assistant’s flag.

Moments later, a clash of heads between Morgan Williams and full-back Sam Ling saw the Dagenham defender replaced by Elliot Johnson, who was sent off in the corresponding fixture last season.

Good harrying (is that a word?) by Jordan Young saw a ball get through to Oluwabori whose shot was turned aside by Justham after 20 minutes. The combinations between the front players was clearly coming together, but the opening 25 minutes showed there was enough there to to test a side in the National League play-off places.

The opening goal came from another good press which sent Worthington through and he was clipped by Matt Phipps (just) inside the box and referee Alan Dale pointed to the spot. Phipps saw red and Jordan MAGUIRE-DREW claimed the ball immediately and put it straight down the middle.

With a man advantage, the visitors pressed for a second but a long range efforts from Charlie Cooper and Oluwabori were easily dealt with by Justham.

At the other end, the assistant did not blow up for what looked like a foul on Josh Staunton with five minutes of the first half remaining, and the ball broke to Josh Walker who combined well with Junior Morais. The latter’s effort did nothing to test Grant Smith.

Half time:  Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Yeovil Town 1


Second half

Three minutes after the restart, a beautiful ball through from Maguire-Drew found Oluwabori on the left of the box, but he dragged his effort wide. A little more composure from the loanee and that could have given the visitors a valuable second goal.

On 55 minutes, a worryingly length treatment to Grant Smith‘s left hand led to a break in play. The keeper was able to continue albeit in discomfort.

Grant Smith receives lengthy treatment to his left hand after 55 minutes.

Dagenham introduced Paul McCallum in to the forward line at the half-time break, and the imposing striker caused issues in the opening 15 minutes of the second half. On 57 minutes, he got on the end of a Josh Hare cross but his effort was blocked.

The chances Yeovil were creating in the first half seemed to dry up, and on 67 minutes Alex Fisher replaced the hard-working Young. Lawson D’Ath and new signing Edwin Agbaje replaced Cooper and Clarke on 76 minutes, presumably to add a little more solidity at the back and composure in the middle of the park.

That saw the visitors go with five at the back with Williams pushed in while Agbaje slotted in at right back.

Ironically the switch a more defensive line-up came just moments before Yeovil got there second goal in style. Oluwabori’s ball from the left found Matt WORTHINGTON whose effort from 25 yards rocketed in to the net. It was against the run of play, but exactly what was needed.

Smith had to be on guard with two minutes remaining to turn a stinging effort from Morias.

Alex Fisher had a great opportunity to make it three deep in to second half stoppage time, but two goals and a clean sheet with suffice.

Full time: Dagenham & Redbridge 0 Yeovil Town 2

Notify of

1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
1 year ago

Great result!. Well done boys!.