Venue: Meadow Park
Saturday, 29th April, 5:30pm kick-off

Pitch: Pristine for a final day pitch
Conditions: Coatesie was dodging sunstroke in the away end

Attendance: .. (226 away supporters!!)

Scorers: Tyrone Marsh 26 (0-1)


Yeovil Town: None
Boreham Wood: Kelly Evans 90

Referee: Matt Corlett

Yeovil Town (4-3-3)

Substitutes: Reo Griffiths (for Linton 58), Andrew Oluwabori (for Siziba 69), Benjani Jr (for Young 77)

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesanmi, Rees, Ndlovu, Marsh (for Lewis 74), Fyfield, Payne, Sousa (for Kelly-Evans 45), Brunt (for Ricketts 80), Bush, Agbontohoma Substitutes: Evans, Newton

Match Report

Yeovil Town’s finished the National League season with a 1-0 defeat on the road at Boreham Wood.

A first half goal from Tyrone Marsh was enough against a depleted Glovers side who had to make a change just before kick off with Ollie Haste coming in for the ill skipper, Josh Staunton.

Here’s how Coatesie saw it…

First half

The opening 15 minutes offered very little in the way of attacking chances from either side with the opening ‘chance’ coming when Boreham Wood centre half Jamal Fyfield went down inside the box. Nothing doing from the referee.

Charlie Cooper had a free-kick deflected wide on 12 minutes for a corner which can only be described as ‘peak Yeovil’. Just terrible.

On 16 minutes, it was the turn of Zanda Siziba to have a penalty shout. Having jinked his way in to the box, he went to ground under a tackle. It was probably no more of a penalty than the one at the other end.

Cooper fired a long range effort on 18 minutes, but the deadlock was broken by the home side on 26 minutes.

A great ball in from the left wing found Tyrone MARSH in space at the back post to head home a controversial opener, after a foul on Scott Pollock in the build up. 1-0

That gave the home side a lift and soon after Bush has an effort deflected wide followed by a number of half chances which put the visiting defence under pressure.

Siziba pulled an effort wide on 43 minutes after good interplay with Freckleton, but in fairness the interplay of inflatable items was more entertainment than was offered in front of Nathan Ashmore’s goal.

Half time: Boreham Wood 1 Yeovil Town 0

Second half

Not surprisingly, having a shot on goal was the issue for Yeovil going forward in the first half. At the start of the second, they did the exact opposite.

On 47 minutes, the ball came to Chiori Johnson on the edge of the box, he lashed in an effort which Ashmore turned wide. A shot on target, make a note of the day.

Having offered nothing in the first half, it was the Glovers who were offering more going forward.

Malachi Linton tumbled inside the box on 55 minutes and two minutes later he was replaced by Reo Griffiths, much to his disgust. He refused a handshake from Mark Cooper and then took his frustration out on a water bottle.

On the hour, Charlie Cooper has a long range effort tipped over the bar by Ashmore.

But the best chance of the half (and therefore the game) up until this point fell to Griffiths. Played in by Siziba on 68 minutes, he was one-on-one with Ashmore but his effort enabled the keeper to make an easy save.

On 69 minutes, Oluwabori replaced Siziba.

Whilst the attack was still leaving a lot to be desired, the performance of Ollie Haste in defence was a highlight. Up against experienced campaigners in Marsh and strike partner Lee Ndlovu, he was not afraid to put in a forceful tackle.

If we are looking for positives, another came on 77 minutes when Benjani Junior, another graduate of the Under-18s set up at Huish Park, replaced Jordan Young.

I honestly lost count of the number of times I heard the shout of “just have a shot” echo out of the away end.

35 goals in 46 National League games. Tells you everything you need to know.

Full time: Boreham Wood 1 Yeovil Town 0

Notify of

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments