Venue: York Street
Sat 26th March 2005, 12.15pm kick-off.

Conditions: Dull, overcast, little wind
Pitch: Bobbly, under-watered – one of the worst this season

Scorers: Terry Skiverton (10, 0-1), Simon Rusk (23, 1-1), Terry Skiverton (82, 1-2)

Attendance: 3,069 (including 298 Glovers)

Referee: Martin Atkinson (West Yorkshire)
Assistants: Will Ramsay (West Midlands); Chris Sarginson (Staffordshire)

Yeovil: Phil Jevons (84, foul)
Boston: Simon Rusk (83, foul), Chris Holland (84, unsporting behaviour), Alan White (88, foul)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (3-4-1-2)
1. Chris Weale
12. Kevin Amankwaah 4. Terry Skiverton 2. Adam Lockwood
7. Paul Terry 6. Darren Way 8. Lee Johnson 3. Michael Rose
11. Phil Jevons
10. Marcus Richardson 9. Kevin Gall

13. Steven Collis (GK) 18. Bartosz Tarachulski (73, for Richardson) 26. David Woozley (44, for Amankwaah) 27. Andrejs Stolcers (58, for Rose) 28. Marvin Brown

Boston United : (3-5-2)
26. Nathan Abbey
2. Alan White 4. Paul Ellender 14. Austin McCann
7. Bradley Maylett 11. Chris Holland 8. David Noble 12. Simon Rusk 16. Danny Thomas
9. Jason Lee 29. Daryl Clare

15. Lee Thompson (78, for Noble) 17. Jermaine Easter (70, for Clare) 19. Stephen O’Donnell 23. Courtney Pitt 28. Dean West

Match Report

After a run of two defeats in a row Yeovil travelled to York Street, Boston, hoping to win here for the first time in many years. Gary Johnson rung the changes from last week’s defeat bringing back Chris Weale in place of Steve Collis in goal, as well as bringing in new signing Marcus Richardson to partner Kevin Gall in attack. Phil Jevons again missed out on his familiar striking role and this time started behind the front two as Gary Johnson adopted a 3-4-1-2 formation. The only other change was Adam Lockwood resuming his defensive role after recovering from injury.

With the Sky TV cameras present, Yeovil did not get off to the best of starts, and the pitch was clearly not favouring our neat passing game and for the first ten minutes Yeovil were pretty quiet in front of goal as Boston seemed contented to pump the ball upfield to Jason Lee to see if anything would happen. Then after a quick Yeovil move a corner was won on the right hand side and Lee Johnson swung in a curling corner and as the Boston ‘keeper tried in vain to get to it Terry SKIVERTON stole in and headed Yeovil in front for his first goal since November. 0-1 after just ten minutes.

That was the end of the Yeovil play for the half as for the next 35 minutes they seemed unable to create any chances of any quality and eventually the Boston pressure told as from another corner the ball ended up at the feet of Simon RUSK who smashed the ball home from 20 yards. As usual the Boston controversy began as Boston striker Clare was flagged offside by the linesman as he was clearly obstructing goalkeeper Chris Weale as the ball was struck. However, after speaking to his linesman Atkinson decided the goal should stand, to the disbelief of the Yeovil crowd and the rest of us watching at home. 1-1

For the next 20 minutes Yeovil did well to close down any Boston player who had the ball although there were very few chances for either side and as the referee blew for half time you would have been forgiven for thinking Yeovil would have been quite pleased with their efforts as clearly the conditions were making their usually passing game quite difficult.

Half-time: Boston United 1 – 1 Yeovil Town

As usual Gary Johnson’s half time team talk seemed to work as Yeovil came out much more positive in the second half. Kevin Amankwaah had been forced off with an apparent hamstring strain and his replacement, debutant David Woozley, got his first taste of the action, brilliantly slamming the brakes onto a Boston attack. With few chances being created by either team and with the 75th minute quickly approaching both managers made changes, Jermaine Easter replacing Daryl Clare who apart from the offside goal had been rather anonymous and Bartosz Tarachulski replacing Marcus Richardson who despite many neat touches had been unable to stamp any authority on the game.

This substitution breathed some life into Yeovil who all of a sudden were oozing confidence and Boston were forced back into their own half for long periods as Yeovil finally started to show the watching thousands why we are the top scorers in English football. Eventually league goal number 78 was scored, as Lee Johnson swung in another brilliant corner from the right, which once again found Terry SKIVERTON who buried the ball in the bottom right corner for his second goal of the game. 1-2

Yeovil hung onto the lead for the remaining few minutes and were unlucky not to extend the lead further as the inspirational Tarachulski came agonisingly close to bagging his 11th goal in the league this season. All in all Yeovil probably edged the game in terms of play, and despite the difficult conditions came away with all three points, and are now four points clear at the top of League Two.

Glenn Barden

MOTM Vote Result:

Player MOTM Score
Terry Skiverton 52 839
Adam Lockwood 7 469
Darren Way 3 155
Kevin Amankwaah 2 101
Bartosz Tarachulski 2 96
Kevin Gall 1 21
Lee Johnson 21

Overall match rating: 6.1 / 10
Performance: 6
Entertainment: 6.2

67 votes received.

Full-time: Boston United 1 – 2 Yeovil Town