Venue: Huish Park
Sat 13th September 2003, 3.00pm kick-off.

Conditions: Hot and sunny
Ground: Perfect

Scorers: Kirk Jackson (21 mins, 1-0), Colin Pluck (34 mins, 2-0), Adam Stansfield (90 mins, 3-0)

Attendance: 5,653

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Berkshire)
Assistant Refs: Ian Harris (Cornwall) and Neil Jones (Devon)

Yeovil: Gall (56 mins, unsporting behaviour), Bull (79 mins, foul).
York: Hope (27 mins, unsporting behaviour)

Line up : (4-4-2)
1. Chris Weale,
2. Adam Lockwood, 14. Roy O’Brien, 5. Colin Pluck, 11. Ronnie Bull,
20. Gavin Williams, 6. Darren Way, 8. Lee Johnson, 10. Nick Crittenden,
18. Kirk Jackson, 9. Kevin Gall.

Subs: 7. Adam Stansfield (90, for Gall), 13. Steven Collis, 17. Jake Edwards (86, for Jackson), 23. Jamie Gosling (86, for Bull), 24. Paul Terry.

York City:
1. Mark Ovendale 12. Stuart Wise 7. Chris Brass 23. Richard Hope 20. Stephen Downes 15. Leigh Wood 14. Mitch Ward 8. Lee Bullock 24. Dave Merris 9. Lee Nogan 10. Aron Wilford

Subs: 4. Richard Cooper (70 mins, for Nogan) 11. Liam George (64 mins, for Wilford) 16. Stephen Brackstone 21. Chris Porter 25. Bryan Stewart (78, for Hope)

Jeremy Gear’s View Of The Game

As the 5653 fans, 400 or so from York, made their way into Huish Park on a glorious afternoon that was still akin to test cricket, the team sheet confirmed two topical talking points. Firstly Kevin Gall had regained his place following his European exploits with Wales, at the expense of the unfortunate Adam Stansfield, and secondly Maidstone’s very own “Polly” Kettle was the appointed match official!

Mr Kettle made his mark within a second, the kick off was to be retaken due to an attacker making his way into the centre circle!! Did this set the scene for the afternoon, not really….to be fair if it was any other ref it would probably have gone unnoticed but considering that, when he was announced as the man in the middle the majority of the crowd booed you could sense it was a case of “oh no, here we go again”. Apart from one controversial moment and the odd strange decision, he wasn’t that bad, so let’s not let the ref take up the space within this report, for the day belonged to Gary Johnson and his well marshalled troops.

Starting with a 4.4.2 formation, Kevin Gall the only change from last weeks line up, Yeovil for the second week running took on a team who also have already led the third division, York in third place made a mockery of their position as they never really looked like a side who would be contending a play off spot come January, let alone April! It’s going to be floodlights on at half time before we really know the movers and shakers in this league.

Apart from the 8th minute, when a good chance went begging for York, the early exchanges fell to a determined, organised Yeovil side. 5 corners and a couple of well executed free kicks in a 10 minute spell set the scene for the home team and it was no surprise when after 22 minutes the Glovers took the lead. Following one of those corners Roy O’Brien tried to set himself up for a spectacular effort on the edge of the box, but the ball would not drop and it found its way backwards, and out to the right, whereupon Gavin Williams, who crossed with aplomb, found the head of Kirk JACKSON who made no mistake with a well directed, powerful header. A goal not too dissimilar from Adam Stansfield’s opener last week.

As the half went by, Yeovil continued to press. Williams and Gall linked well and the latter was fouled which led to a free kick, subsequently moved on 10 yards for dissent. The resultant dead ball attempt from outside the box was blocked. But Yeovil kept pressing, Adam Lockwood, playing with tremendous confidence and conviction audaciously tried to lob Ovendale, the York keeper with a speculative effort from distance.

Gall, again was put through by Nick Crittenden, his effort towards the top angle was clipped by a Minstermen defender for yet another corner, this time banged into the near post with power, Kirk Jackson met the ball in flight and a goal bound effort forced a terrific save from the York keeper, who pushed the ball aside for yet another corner. Lee Johnson has a football brain you know, as for this time he played the ball deep toward the back post for the powerful Colin PLUCK to head downwards and in from the edge of the six yard box. 2-0 and after 33 minutes the game effectively looked beyond York.

As the half came to a close, a corner and a save from a header that had Weale at full stretch was the best York could muster as Yeovil continued to press.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 2 York City 0

It was some surprise then, as the second half started that York started the brighter, Crittenden and Ronnie Bull, whose performance didn’t quite match his adrenalin filled debut contrived to lose the ball in the York half, and as they broke away Chris Weale saved low to his left to concede an unnecessary corner, one of many during the second half for York.

Soon after came the controversy, in his defence, Trevor Kettle went with his linesman’s decision. As the York keeper came to clear he was charged down, quite fairly, and rushed into a clearance by the eager Gavin Williams. He cleared as far as Jackson who instinctively headed forward and as Gall latched on and fired home the goal was disallowed as Williams, although coming back and not interfering, was deemed to be offside. A difficult one for the ref as I’m sure if the same happened at the other end, and the goal was allowed we would have screamed for offside.

As the game wore on the “good players and flair players” as Gary Johnson refers to could not penetrate a stubborn York defence. Gall again broke away and failed to find the target from a narrow angle following good work down the right, and the same player found himself in space not long after, and from a better angle drove his shot powerfully past the left upright for a goal kick. Whilst not entirely in command the 2-goal advantage never looked in jeopardy, Kirk Jackson epitomised that as he worked tirelessly in both boxes when the need arose.

With seven minutes or so remaining the gaffer rang the changes, Jamie Gosling and Jake Edwards replaced the tiring Ronnie Bull and Kirk Jackson respectively.

Have you noticed the manager’s timing recently? As the crowd sing “hey Gary Johnson -ooh ahh” etc he acknowledges his worshippers at the same point, every time, in the second verse! His timing of introducing the third and final sub Adam STANSFIELD could also not have been better timed as the prodigal son scored the 3rd goal of the day. Good work in his own box by Jake Edwards, sent the ball forwards and as Jamie Gosling battled down the right wing he squared for Stansfield to poke home his 2nd goal of the season with barely his 2nd touch of the afternoon – an inspired and perfect substitution as all three played their part with the desired effect!

So, Yeovil move up to 5th position, and next to come are the other “new” boys Doncaster. On this form, and after the moral boosting 4-0 victory on that unforgettable April the 12th day 2003, surely an opportunity presents itself to continue this winning streak……I can picture it now, can’t you?……. Doncaster kick off at a quarter to eight and play a long hopeful ball down the left hand channel, a certain Michael Mcindoe chases a lost cause when out of the Yorkshire gloom looms a snarling Colin Pluck….OUCH…..they’ll feel it in Leeds….bring it on!!!

Jeremy Gear

Full-time: Yeovil Town 3 York City 0

MOTM Vote Result:

Player MOTM Score
Colin Pluck 27 677
Kirk Jackson 10 305
Darren Way 7 179
Nick Crittenden 3 147
Roy O’Brien 3 133
Gavin Williams 1 81
Kevin Gall 1 77
Lee Johnson 3 70
Adam Lockwood 1 53
Ronnie Bull 1 35
Chris Weale 35

Overall match rating: 7.5 / 10
Performance: 7.6
Entertainment: 7.4

57 votes received.