Venue: Huish Park
Mon 12th April 2004, 3pm kick-off.


Scorers: Simon Weatherstone (4, 0-1), Kevan Hurst (14, 1-1), David Noble (44, 2-1), Adam Stansfield (51, 2-2), Lee Thompson (90, 3-2)

Attendance: 2,848 – including approx 400 Glovers fans

Referee: Eddie Ilderton (Tyne & Wear)
Assistant Refs: Glenn Hambling (Norfolk); A.N.Other

Yeovil: Skiverton (23, foul), Williams (43, foul)
Boston: None

Line Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-4-1-1)
13. Steven Collis
24. Paul Terry 4. Terry Skiverton 12. Hugo Rodrigues 2. Adam Lockwood
7. Adam Stansfield 6. Darren Way 8. Lee Johnson 20. Gavin Williams
25. Simon Weatherstone
11. Lee Matthews

32. Ryan Northmore 10. Nick Crittenden (15, for Way) 15. Steven Reed 17. Jake Edwards (75, for Matthews) 27. Daniel Rodrigues

Boston United : (4-4-2)
1. Paul Bastock
20. Lee Beevers 4. Paul Ellender 5. Stuart Balmer 3. Ben Chapman
27. David Noble 7. Tom Bennett 10. Chris Holland 9. Steve Melton
8. Graeme Jones 22. Kevan Hurst

13. Steve Croudson 11. Mark Angel (33, for Holland) 15. Dene Cropper 18. Lee Thompson (77, for Hurst) 12. Matthew Hocking (74, For Chapman)

Badger’s View Of The Game

Yeovil Town’s playoff hopes were left hanging by a thread after a harsh last minute winner by Boston United sent them home with nothing to show for a great second half performance at York Street today. Were it not for only one of the likely playoff contenders gaining victory today, Gary Johnson would already be preparing for the 2004-05 season as of this evening. As it happens, the Glovers are now stuck in a “win or bust” situation for their remaining matches – a factor which heavily contributed to Boston’s 93rd minute winner.

Johnson went for a radically different line-up to start the match with Simon Weatherstone starting up front against his old club, who gave him a friendly welcome back to Lincolnshire. Adam Stansfield occupied an unorthadox left wing position with Adam Lockwood slotting in at an unfamiliar left-back spot, giving Paul Terry the opposite flank. Colin Pluck failed to recover from a back injury sustained during Saturday whilst Kevin Gall travelled with the squad but was relegated out of the sixteen.

Somehow, players up against their former sides always seem to be guaranteed to score. It took Simon WEATHERSTONE just four minutes to ensure that fine tradition continued – sending a rasping 25 yard drive into the the top of the net giving the Glovers a dream start.

That was just as well as Boston had the best of the opening quarter hour and soon were back on level terms. Graeme Jones had a fierce shot at goal but found Lee Johnson close to his own goal-line to clear the attempt, whilst numerous other Yeovil defenders had to block half-attempts in a crowded penalty area.

Like many of the goals scored this afternoon, Boston’s equaliser carried great controversy. Darren Way had gone down with an ankle injury a few minutes previously but had attempted to continue. When he decided he could not, he signalled to the bench and Nick Crittenden stripped off in readiness. Way went down for a second time at this point and referee Eddie Ilderton instructed him to leave the field, but refused to allow the substitution to take place. Exactly what rule Mr Ilderton was referring to in making this decision is not clear.

The consequence was that after much arguing, the match official forced Way to leave the field, and Boston were level 15 seconds later from a throw-in. Kevan HURST, who Way had been picking up earlier, got all the space he needed and doubtless with a ‘thank you’ to Mr Ilderton was given freedom to run at the Yeovil defence and slam the ball past Steve Collis from just inside the box.

Boston’s tannoy puts out faked taped crowd noise out to try and create the presence of an atmosphere at York Street and this fantasically bad concept was to get more airings as the afternoon continued.

Yeovil weathered that early Boston pressure and the game gradually evened up with first Adam Stansfield, then Gavin Williams exploiting the Boston left flank. Both moves resulted in the players cutting inside and forcing Boston keeper Paul Bastock into what were fairly comfortable saves. Nick Crittenden blasted another attempt over after a Lee Matthews knock-down.

Kevan Hurst tested Steve Collis when he shot from a narrow angle, and the same player set up Tom Bennett with a right wing cross that saw Bennett’s flick turned over the crossbar by Collis. But right on the stroke of half time, controversy reigned once again when Mr Ilderton blew up for what seemed to these eyes to be a ball-winning tackle from Paul Terry. Up stepped David NOBLE who put in a cross into the box from the flank and as his attempt to find other home players evaded everyone, Steve Collis was left scrambling for air as the ball bounced once and rose into the net for a freak goal that gave Boston the half time advantage.

Half-time: Boston United 2 – 1 Yeovil Town

With doubtless a rocket up their behinds for some slightly sloppy first half play, Yeovil were the first team out for the second half, with Gary Johnson continuing his teamtalk from the centre-circle whilst a lengthy wait was had for the home side and officials to return to the field.

This ploy seemed to benefit the Glovers the most, and went close after Paul Terry thread Lee Matthews and shot into the side netting. But when Gavin Williams supplied Adam STANSFIELD seven minutes into the half, Stanno produced an excellent turn of pace and fired past Bastock from just inside the area to put Yeovil back on level terms once again. Once again though Mr Ilderton was found lacking – although it had little effect on the goal itself, Boston probably had claims for the free kick from Williams being taken whilst the ball was moving.

The Glovers were enjoying a real purple patch at this stage and had a chance to go ahead just two minutes later when Paul Ellender was judged to have clipped Gavin Williams as he ran into the home penalty box. A spot kick it was, and after a long delay, up stepped Williams who gave a bit of cat and mouse before slotting the ball into the corner and past Bastock. It seemed like a goal, but no Mr Ilderton decided to take centre stage once again, claiming he had not blown his whistle for the kick to be taken, despite one of the most lengthy waits possible before Gavin struck the ball. A second Williams attempt – to the opposite side of goal but not as sweetly struck, was saved by Bastock and the ball hacked away.

Despite the set-back, the Glovers continued their occupation of the Boston half. Lee Matthews shot just wide of the post, whilst Lee Johnson scooped a shot a foot wide following great wing-work from Gavin Williams. Terry Skiverton put a bullet of a header over the bar from a Lee Johnson cross. Adam Stansfield hit the post, and then missed the best chance of the half, shooting weakly at Bastock when he was presented with a great through ball.

It took Boston until second half injury time before they had their first meaningful attempt of the second period as a shot was looped over Steve Collis’s crossbar. But three minutes into injury time Boston grabbed the winning goal with more or less 21 players camped in one half of the field. Lee THOMPSON received a ball over the top of the Yeovil back line where Hugo Rodrigues was the lone defence. Looking suspiciously offside, unless he started his run from within his own half, Thompson drew out Collis and finished well, to give the home side an improbable victory. There was barely enough time for the restart to occur before the final whistle blew, and the Glovers players sank to their knees, knowing that their big chance to put themselves back in playoff contention had gone well and truly astray right at the death.

At least, unlike Saturday, Yeovil had gone down fighting. Unfortunately they did not reckon with Eddie Ilderton and his two assistants playing a hand in four of the five goals and various decisions surrounding the penalty incident. But this performance was far more like the Yeovil we all expect, and a world away from the mind-numbingly boring spectacle of the Cheltenham match. A shame then that the Glovers did not come back home with what they deserved.


Full-time: Boston United 3 – 2 Yeovil Town

MOTM Vote Result:

Player MOTM Score
Gavin Williams 9 444
Adam Stansfield 7 363
Simon Weatherstone 7 281
Steven Collis 4 281

Overall match rating: 6.5 / 10
Performance: 6.3
Entertainment: 6.7

27 votes received.