Venue: Twerton Park
Sun 27th October 2002, 12 noon kick-off.

Conditions: Gale-force winds with unpredictable swirling.
Pitch: Coarse and fairly long with some bald patches.

FA Cup 4QR :
Bath City 1 – 1 Yeovil Town

Att: 3,470 (including 1,388 Yeovil supporters on the away terraces)

Referee: Mr T Kettle

Yeovil: McIndoe (23, foul), Williams (57, foul), Giles (90, foul)
Bath: Harvey (3, foul), Kemp (11, foul), Minturn (33, foul) Red card: Harvey (76, foul, second bookable offence)

Line up : (3-4-1-2)

1. Chris Weale

2. Adam Lockwood

4. Terry Skiverton

14. Roy O’Brien

10. Nick Crittenden

6. Darren Way

8. Lee Johnson

11. Michael McIndoe

20. Gavin Williams

19. Abdoulai Demba

18. Kim Grant

Substitutes: 9. Carl Alford (46, for Demba), 12. Chris Giles (84, for Johnson), 13. Jon Sheffield, 16. Andy Lindegaard, 23. Howard Forinton (61, for Grant)

Bath City: 1. Bryant, 2. Bennett, 3. Trought, 4. Thorne, 5. Kemp, 6. Rollo, 7. Minturn, 8. Harvey, 9. Eaton, 10. Cleverley, 11. Williams
Subs : 12. Foster (75, for Eaton), 13. Hervin, 14. Milsom, 15. Wilmot, 16. Honor (84, for Bennett)

Scorers: Cleverley (36, 1-0), LOCKWOOD (69, 1-1)

This report courtesy of Tony Elbourn:

Gale-force winds were the least of Yeovil’s problems this afternoon, as an eager and coordinated Bath gave their all in an effort to overcome their old rivals.

Bath settled quickly into their stride, having elected to play with the wind. Their fast, aggressive style of play had Yeovil on the back-foot for most of the first half, the Glovers struggling to keep possession as Bath fought for every ball. Some idea of the pressure Bath exerted can be given by saying that McIndoe played most of the first half at left back defending against the pacey and skillful Frankie Bennett. In fact, their “duel” was one of the few highlights of the match, another being the huge throws of Gary Thorne, who could easily reach the far post from the byeline.

Swirling winds should have meant keeping the ball on the ground, but the Yeovil back line and midfield persisted in long balls and “head tennis” long after doing so had proved pointless. Nothing fell right for the Glovers, who had difficulty completing even the simplest ground pass. Bath were more focused on their game, and inevitably, with their better use of midfield and both wings, it was they who opened the scoring with a well-taken volley by Danny CLEVERLEY from a Jason Eaton cross.

Even going a goal down didn’t seem to shake Yeovil up, and the game drifted to half time with Bath in a deserved lead.

Half Time : Bath City 1 Yeovil Town 0

Typically of Yeovil’s luck the wind dropped considerably after play restarted, losing them the advantage of direct play they had hoped for by bringing Alford on. Bath continued to have the better of the game, their enthusiasm evident, until around the hour mark. With Forinton now on the field, Yeovil started to move forward with more resolve and purpose, forcing Bath into their own half for the first period of real pressure. It was Bennett’s turn now to defend against McIndoe, and these two provided some real end-to-end entertainment for the rest of the match. The pressure mounted against Bath, and finally Adam LOCKWOOD headed home from a Johnson cross to the evident relief of players and supporters alike.

The goal helped Yeovil to find at least one of their feet at last, but despite being put under mounting pressure and being reduced to 10 men, Bath defended purposefully and ended with a well-deserved draw.

Full Time: Bath City 1 Yeovil Town 1

Tony Elbourn

Internet Man of the Match Voting Result:

Player MOTM Score
Chris Weale 10 517
Roy O’Brien 5 300
Terry Skiverton 2 233
Darren Way 2 142
Adam Lockwood 1 133
Michael McIndoe 1 117
Gavin Williams 1 108
Carl Alford 1 75

Overall match rating: 3.8 / 10
Performance: 3.6
Entertainment: 4

24 votes received.