Mon 13th August 2001
Match Report: Tim Lancaster
Weather: Dry
Pitch: Recently cut

Pre-Season Friendly
Bashley 1 Yeovil Town 5

Att : 204

Scorers: John WILLIAMS o.g. (0-1, 16 mins), Stuart Hussey (1-1, 20 mins), Colin PLUCK (1-2, 52 mins), Lee JOHNSON (1-3, 64 mins), Scott RAMSAY (1-4, 67 mins), Glenn POOLE (1-5, 88 mins)

Officials: Referee: Mr Dean Miller. Assistants: Mr Anthony Jacobs & Mr Marek Kopczewski

Bookings :
Yeovil : None
Bashley : None

Starting Line-Up : 1. Steve Collis, 2. Lee Johnson, 3. Anthony Tonkin, 4. Tom White, 5. Colin Pluck, 6. Darren Way, 7. Barrington Belgrave, 8. Andy Turner, 9. Scott Ramsay, 10. Nick Crittenden, 11. Michael McIndoe. Subs: 12. Glenn Poole (65, for McIndoe) GK: Chris Weale 14. Terry Skiverton 15. Steve Thompson (65, for Way) 16. Andy Lindegaard (65, for Johnson) 17. Carl Alford (65, for Belgrave) 18. James Bent (68, for Turner)

Bashley: 1 Darren Crowfoot, 2 Mark Jones, 3 Gary Funnell, 4 Darren Robson, 5 John Williams, 6 Anthony Tilley, 7 Jimmy Anderson, 8 Craig Davis, 9 Stuart Hussey, 10 Jim Ball, 11 Dean Higgins. Subs: 12 Phil Andrews, 14 Keiron Hall, 15 Martin Beck, 16 Kevin Brewster, 17 Olly Shaw, 19 Scott Jacobs

Yeovil Town scored five goals in their final pre-season friendly as they made their first ever trip to Bashley Recreation Ground to face the New Forest based Dr Martens Eastern Division outfit. There can have been few more scenic settings for a Yeovil Town fixture in recent years, with ‘The Bash’ ground situated in the middle of an idylic village populated by only 250 inhabitants, and flanked by a garden centre and a grazing field! The thirty five Town followers that made the trip to Bashley will not often see their side in action at a ground where the advertisment hoardings feature the village Post Office and local stores.

Bashley had the first chance of the evening when Dean Higgins found himself confronted by Steve Collis in the Yeovil goal, however the forwards hesitancy allowed Collis to gather the ball as it ran free. ‘Bash’ included former Yeovil Town trialist Stuart Hussey in their line up as well as Gary Funnell, a player that featured in Yeovil Town’s pre-season friendlies last term, however they fell behind after sixteen minutes when Andy Turner’s low cross deflected off home defender John WILLIAMS before passing under goalkeeper Darren Crowfoot who provided further assistance in helping the ball into the net. Mark Jones then hacked a Lee Johnson corner off the goaline four minutes later, and Darren Way sent in a twenty five yard drive that Crowfoot held well with twenty three minutes played.

The impressive Scott Ramsey flashed a header wide following a Johnson corner, but depite these chances it was Bashley that levelled the scoreline after twenty five minutes. Dean Higgins crossed low into the box and Stuart HUSSEY tapped the ball home from six yards, celebrating a goal that appeared to be scored in slow motion.

Barrington Belgrave created space for himself after thirty minutes, but his shot flashed wide following a neat turn, and a minute before the break the same player missed a golden opportunity when he directed a header wide from six yards following Turners cross.

Half Time : Bashley 1 Yeovil Town 1

Gary Johnson switched to a three man defence in the second half, and Yeovil soon began to run the show, Darren Way saw his shot blocked by Crowfoot as the midfielder outpaced his marker to create a one on one situation after fifty one minutes, Crowfoots defiance did’nt last long though as Colin PLUCK made the score 2-1, powering in a header to score with aplomb after fifty three minutes following Tom Whites clever run to take the defender away.

Yeovil increased their lead after sixty four minutes, Jim Ball fouled Lee Johnson in a goalscoring position, and as Ball was substituted JOHNSON rattled the ball home from the free kick, the ball flashing past Crowfoot into the top right hand corner of the goal.

Scott RAMSEY scored Yeovil Town’s fourth goal after sixty six minutes, neatly chipping the ball home from twenty yards, and moments later the Bashley goal escaped as Crowfoot turned Andy Lindegaard’s shot onto the bar. Bashley had the chance to pull a goal back with five minutes remaining after Steve Collis committed a foul in the penalty area as Dean Higgins got his shot away. The young Yeovil goalkeeper made amends for his mistake however with a diving save to his left to push the ball away from Craig Davis’ spot kick.

As if to compound Bashley’s misery Glen Poole drove home Yeovils final goal two minutes from time following Steve Thompsons pass, Poole pulled up in some pain following the goal, although he and the rest of his colleagues will have been relieved to have survived what had become a very physical contest as the second half wore on.

Final Score : Bashley 1 Yeovil Town 5

Gary’s Verdict :

“I was pleased last night, I was pleased that we started off very brightly and we could have had 2-3 goals in the first 15 minutes. Then we had that cosmic spell in the first 20 minutes of the second half when we got the three goals that put the game beyond doubt which is nice because then for the last half an hour you can relax as a manager and they can relax as players. I can do what I need to do for substitutions and make sure that everybody gets a go.

“We set about the job really well and we closed them down, and put pressure on people.

“We know that they are not quite Conference standard and we have no illusions about that but all games are difficult at that level, so I was pleased.

“Poole by name, Poole by nature. He’s alright he just pulled his quad muscle – I think he was just looking for a bit more attention after his goal!”